• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Change pickups for LP Studio 2000.

ilyas

Hi everyone, it's my first post here and i would be very thankful for any advices.

Several days ago i bought my first Gibson guitar - an LP Studio from 2000 year with burstbucker pickups installed (i measured their resistance at home and it is 8.4 kOhms in neck position and 12.2 kOhms in bridge)
This model also has a thinner body width and smaller neck inlays than other Studios. (as i figured out all Studios made in 1999 - 2000 had similar specs)
It is well made quality instrument without any issues both technically and cosmetically, but for my taste it has too much of clean high-end sounding without this unique Les Paul character growl.
I understand that Studio cant be compared to more expensive Les Paul models, but i want to change pickups to improve the sound.

I want to change those Bursbuckers to something more classical sounding.
I'm choosing between Classic 57' or 490R in neck and something appropriate in bridge (maybe 498T or 500T).

If anyone was in the same situation please share your thoughts and experience.
Will pickup change improve the sound?
Will that change give a result for this particular model (1999-2000 with thinner body) or that sound is mostly contributed to the guitar body?

Thanks!

Classicplayer

Firstly, what type of music do you play? What types of amps will you be using with your Studio?

If you play Rock or Metal you may need something similar to what you have, but with a tad less high end happening.

I have a 2000 Classic I bought in 2000, featuring the ceramic 496R/500T which was way too powerful for me. I play a variety of music, but not Metal. Next came Duncan '59 pair for 12 years and then my tastes changed to quieter music,
so I put in a set of Duncan Seth Lovers. The Seth’s will stay in as it's a good all-'round set for several genres of music.
They seem to bring out the Les Paul wood tones better and still have enough output to drive an amp when needed.

Figure out what is the music style(s) you will be involved with than ask the question as to some examples of
pickups that will help you get your tone.

Classicplayer

El Gringo

Welcome , 57 Classic in the neck is good and for the bridge I would choose a 57 Classic Plus .

LtKojak

i bought my first Gibson guitar - an LP Studio from 2000 year with burstbucker pickups installed (i measured their resistance at home and it is 8.4 kOhms in neck position and 12.2 kOhms in bridge)
Those readings corrispond to the 490R/498T set. Measure the polepiecespread on the bridge p'up. If it's 52mm, that's proof of my theory.

ilyas

Thanks everyone for replies!

I installed 57 classic in the neck but didnt get satisfied by the sound and overall feel.

Thanks to the guitar shop where i bought this guitar, i exchanged it for a 1987 LP Studio Standard with Tim Shaw pups. (payed 300$ more for this)

Now i am more than happy with it. It just really feels and sounds awesome!! I dont want to change anything to it!

1987 LP Studio Standard just cant be compared to 2000 LP Studio that i wrote about in my first post.

ilyas

Those readings corrispond to the 490R/498T set. Measure the polepiecespread on the bridge p'up. If it's 52mm, that's proof of my theory.

Sorry, i cant examine this because i changed this guitar, but actually it was written Burstbuckers on them with the date of winding and Patent applied for sticker.