• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Les Paul Custom 1976 with issues....

asquinet

Hello everybody, this is my first post here. Excuse for my bad English... I wish to buy this Les Paul Custom, has a very beautiful sound, but... has some issues. The more evident is a separation line (not too deep, it seems affects the nitro only) along the supposed pancake division.
The second issue is a heavy wear of the first three frets.
The last is incorrect tuners (substituted with Grover and remaining a little hole of precedent tuners closed with a little black screw).

Here you have pics:

5c97d60a_fe9e_4e02_82b2_64b1f67506b6.jpg

8a473cf4_b149_4baa_a003_06d2af725c2a.jpg

9af60333_0d14_4c2c_9719_82c8895544e3.jpg

13da4186_e293_48bb_9801_4a138da77391.jpg

04867d58_e66a_4f5e_80a3_3d9f411af415.jpg

ab48cf23_9a24_4d61_b2fa_7a251c975fd3.jpg

b545e63c_56c9_4c72_82f2_fc79be728567.jpg

b5971de5_31b3_4bd6_beb4_46dde72d175d.jpg

e8410987_f7a0_40f1_8ba7_07cbdf449399.jpg

f00c844b_e480_412f_b6f9_0f718a099218.jpg

What do you think about? The separation of body could be a problem in the future? Does affect the value or not? It would be possible to find the correct tuners? (in pict maybe it is not evident, but the hardware is silver, not golden).
I have many many GAS for this guitar, but I am a little bit confused....Please let me know your opinions!
Thank You!
Claudio from Italy

gibson-r8

Chrome hardware? Wouldn't worry too much about the seam separation on the pancake. Very common. Grovers were standard in 75 so as long as they work what the heck? If the pickups (should be pat number T-Tops) are there, the plastic looks legit (better pictures would help). It is a factory second, no big deal at this point. If the money makes sense to you, that's a real rock and roll machine there.

Wilko

All Access/Backstage Pass
1976 LPC had a model with chrome. All the hardware was made by Schaller in Germany, including the tuners NOT Grover.

Here is a pic of the factory tuners made by Schaller and marked Gibson:

76_headback.jpg

Construction and material differences made this my least favorite Les Paul. if I were a more hard rock type player I would have liked it more.

Big Al

In the 70's Customs had a factory NICKLE hardware option. They said nickle I only saw CHROME and only on Ebony finish.

Wilko

All Access/Backstage Pass
In the 70's Customs had a factory NICKLE hardware option. They said nickle I only saw CHROME and only on Ebony finish.

Wow. I never knew they advertised nickle. I only saw chrome, too. (as pictured--chrome!):hmm:salude

asquinet

Chrome hardware? Wouldn't worry too much about the seam separation on the pancake. Very common. Grovers were standard in 75 so as long as they work what the heck? If the pickups (should be pat number T-Tops) are there, the plastic looks legit (better pictures would help). It is a factory second, no big deal at this point. If the money makes sense to you, that's a real rock and roll machine there.

Hi R8, thank you for your answer! "Chrome" or "nickel" really I don't know...I mean "not golden", as a lot of LP Custom I saw. Excuse me if I used an incorrect word.
Here you have a close up of plastic around the pickups:
460da138_7bca_488d_9d14_e1ffe7240d79.jpg

Price is 2900 Euros (about 3350 USD). Gibson prices here in Europe -maybe for rumours about supposed Gibson closing activities- are going to rise up....

asquinet

1976 LPC had a model with chrome. All the hardware was made by Schaller in Germany, including the tuners NOT Grover.

Here is a pic of the factory tuners made by Schaller and marked Gibson:

76_headback.jpg

Construction and material differences made this my least favorite Les Paul. if I were a more hard rock type player I would have liked it more.

Thank you for your answer. Yes, these are correct tuners....I think will be not easy find it....

asquinet

Hi, thank you for your answer! this is the first LPCustom with "silvered" hardware...always seen "golden"!

britbender

I have the same guitar, a -76 BB but with the more common gold hardware. It's my go to rock n roll axe :)

I think 2900 is steep with the seperation in the body.

asquinet

Hi Tom and Britbender, thanks for your opinions!
Yes, it definitely is factory 2nd... but I have seen many samples with "2" or "SECOND" stamped, sincerally I don't see this as problem...
The fact is: prices continuing to rise up.... I would like the guitar that is not too young, too battered or too expensive...I ask too much, is it it???:):)

gibson-r8

From our point of view here in the US, the price is high considering it is a well worn example of a very common guitar (I don't recall the shipping totals but it was one of the highest production years). The question for you is whether it is worth it to you. I have paid too much for guitars in the past, and have never felt that I had been foolish to have done so. It is worth what is worth to you.

The guitar you posted is a road warrior, if it sounds good and plays good (at least a partial refret may be needed to achieve that) and you can afford it and it is what you want... Well, whats about all that matters.

That 76 is a beauty Wilko.. my 76 is somewhere between what the OP is looking at and yours. Is that one yours?

Progrocker111

The price is too high for guitar with such defect. The separation is a bit drastic on this one, its sometimes fairly common but not in such deep way. I would stay away, there are many mid 70s Les Paul Customs for such price even in Europe and even with all original parts. :hmm

asquinet

Thank you R8 and Progrocker111 for your opinion.... unfortunately there are less chances to buy for less here in Europe a 1976 LSCustom!:dang:dang.
I decided to try asking a big discount! If no, I definitely will abandon the project!
Thank you, I will inform you!
Thanks again to everyone answer me in this topic
All the best, Claudio