• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

5 Prong Quick Connect conversion

zduke95

Hey all,

I am looking to take the 5-wire quick connect pickup from my 2017 standard and put it in my 2004 Standard with regular (non quick connect) Pots. Does anybody have a wiring diagram for which of the 5 wires go where, once I cut off the plastic quick connect?

Thanks in advance.

DWS2

Les Paul Froum Member
Hey all,

I am looking to take the 5-wire quick connect pickup from my 2017 standard and put it in my 2004 Standard with regular (non quick connect) Pots. Does anybody have a wiring diagram for which of the 5 wires go where, once I cut off the plastic quick connect?

Thanks in advance.

Do you have a mukti mete? The best way is to test it. Put one lead on and test the 3 wires until you get a reading. That’s one coil. Then test the other 2. Twice one of each together and text the 2 open wires. Keep trying combos until you get a reading of like 7.5 or 8. Basically both coils working together. There is lots of videos on YouTube to help if you get confused.

i never test a wiring diamgram. I always test.

One will be ground
one will go to the pot
two will be twisted together
one will go to the lug on the pot.

PaulD

Do you have a mukti mete? The best way is to test it. Put one lead on and test the 3 wires until you get a reading. That’s one coil. Then test the other 2. Twice one of each together and text the 2 open wires. Keep trying combos until you get a reading of like 7.5 or 8. Basically both coils working together. There is lots of videos on YouTube to help if you get confused.

i never test a wiring diamgram. I always test.

One will be ground
one will go to the pot
two will be twisted together
one will go to the lug on the pot.

If he wasn't confused before he sure as hell will be now! :hmm

PaulD

Please do not follow the previous poster's instructions - even if you can decipher them, using the trial an error method suggested takes no account of phase and you are likely to end up with the coils wired incorrectly.

Assuming that your pickups are Gibson pickups with their original wires and connectors then the following applies:-

1. The red wire is the hot wire and connects to the terminal on the relevant volume pot (the right hand terminal when viewed from the rear of the pot with the terminals pointing up)
2. The green and white wires should be connected together (solder the wires together and insulate the connection with heat shrink tube or tape)
3. The black wire is the pickup -ve and connects to ground (solder to the body of the relevant volume pot)
4. The bare wire is the shield wire and connects to ground (solder to the body of the pot)

Last edited:

PaulD

There has been threads on a few forums that Gibson has changed/altered the wiring configuration of some their quick connect pickups.

http://guitarnuts2.proboards.com/thread/7881/gibson-pickup-quick-connect-information

If I am understanding the link you posted correctly it seems to be refering to installing non quick-connect pickups to a guitar with a circuit board designed for quick-connect pickups and the problem relates to which pin is which on the circuit board. The OP is asking about cutting the plug off a quick-connect pickup and wiring it to a guitar without a circuit board in which case it should be wired as I said. As far as I know the colour coding of the wires from the pickup have never changed, only the pin locations on the board have changed.

PaulD

From the threads i have read, The color coding on rear pickups with quick connect connectors isn't the standard Gibson 4(5th bare grd) wire color code.Posters had wired their pickups(taking out the PCB board) going by the standard code and the pickups were oop.

I haven't been able to find anything that suggests this is the case, the only colour coding scheme I have ever seen for Gibson 4/5 wire pickups is this one:-

http://www.planetz.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/humbucker_color_codes1.jpg

Gibson's own website has instructions on how to connect these to a non-circuit board guitar using the method I suggested here:-

http://www.gibson.com/Support/Tech-Tips/Pickup-the-Pace.aspx

Do you have any links to information that is contrary to this? I have not been able to find any and find it highly implausible that they would use 2 different colour coding schemes.

PaulD

After some digging I think I have now got to the bottom of this. It seems that when Gibson started using pcb's and quick connect pickups they changed the magnetic polarity of the bridge pickup by fliping the magnet over and in order to compensate for this they reversed the coil connections to the pickup wires. This was apparently done as it enabled a simpler design of the pcb for guitars that had coil tap switching and phase switching. There is some more information on this here http://jamspeaks.blogspot.com/2016/02/gibson-four-conductor-quick-connect.html

If the pickups are being used to connect to a traditional style wiring system with no coil tap switching or phase switching, which I believe is what the OP was asking about, then this has no effect and the pickups should still both be wired as I suggested (green and white connected together, red = hot, black = ground). The only time this would cause an issue is if the pickups are being connected to a wiring system with switching in which case the required connections might not be as expected.

zduke95

After some digging I think I have now got to the bottom of this. It seems that when Gibson started using pcb's and quick connect pickups they changed the magnetic polarity of the bridge pickup by fliping the magnet over and in order to compensate for this they reversed the coil connections to the pickup wires. This was apparently done as it enabled a simpler design of the pcb for guitars that had coil tap switching and phase switching. There is some more information on this here http://jamspeaks.blogspot.com/2016/02/gibson-four-conductor-quick-connect.html

If the pickups are being used to connect to a traditional style wiring system with no coil tap switching or phase switching, which I believe is what the OP was asking about, then this has no effect and the pickups should still both be wired as I suggested (green and white connected together, red = hot, black = ground). The only time this would cause an issue is if the pickups are being connected to a wiring system with switching in which case the required connections might not be as expected.

Thank you you for all your help!! The last thing I wanted to do was trial and error to get the right colors in the right spots