• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

1987 Les Paul Standard Pickups identified UPDATE

westies

[h=3]westiesJunior Member[/h]<dl class="pairsJustified xbMessages" style="margin-top: 2px; margin-right: 0px; margin-left: 0px; line-height: 1.5; overflow: hidden; zoom: 1;"><dt style="margin: 0px 5px 0px 0px; padding: 0px; color: rgb(150, 150, 150); float: left; max-width: 100%;">Messages:</dt><dd style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; float: right; text-align: right; max-width: 100%;">9</dd></dl><dl class="pairsJustified xbLikes" style="margin-top: 2px; margin-right: 0px; margin-left: 0px; line-height: 1.5; overflow: hidden; zoom: 1;"><dt style="margin: 0px 5px 0px 0px; padding: 0px; color: rgb(150, 150, 150); float: left; max-width: 100%;">Likes Received:</dt><dd style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; float: right; text-align: right; max-width: 100%;">37</dd></dl>
<dl class="pairsJustified xbJoinDate" style="margin-top: 2px; margin-right: 0px; margin-left: 0px; line-height: 1.5; overflow: hidden; zoom: 1;"><dt style="margin: 0px 5px 0px 0px; padding: 0px; color: rgb(150, 150, 150); float: left; max-width: 100%;">Joined:</dt><dd style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; float: right; text-align: right; max-width: 100%;">Jul 26, 2018</dd></dl>

<article>
Hello, group, just updating with the info I received at Guitar Works in Charlotte today!
beautiful sunburst finish, front just one little mark around the pots, the back is almost flawless, some dings around corners, looks great for it's age. Thrilled to get it! it has almost the same slim profile neck as my 59 Les Paul Special, which is my favorite neck, so finding this guitar with this neck, even better! I think the pickups are the original Tim Shaws, if anyone knows better by the pics, I'd love to hear it. The most interesting part are the two switches, 3 way for the bridge, and 2 way for the neck pickup. The guy I bought it from says they are coil tap switches, and that's what they sound like, I've only played it for 30 minutes or so. If any of you can decipher the wiring from the pic and explain what's going to me, I'd really appreciate it, I have no idea! I'm going to take to my local luthier who happens to be a knowledgable Gibson guy and let him disect it. Thanks!

Update: the pickups are Seymour Duncan "JBJ" wound by Maricela Juarez! My luthier and I were pleasantly surprised to find them. We still don't know what the original factory pickups were, I'd love to know if anyone wants to venture a guess. The 3 way switch on the bridge splits the coil and the capacitor adds a different tone in the 3rd position, the neck switch splits the coils as well. I can't find the original factory spec's on this guitar anywhere. the serial number is 826875331987 Les Paul Standard Seymour Duncan JBJ pickups.jpg1987 Les Paul Standard Wiring.jpg1987 Les Paul Standard Controls.jpg1987 Les Paul Standard Body.jpg1987 Les Paul Standard.jpg
</article>

<body id="cke_pastebin" style="position: absolute; top: 8px; width: 1px; height: 1px; overflow: hidden; left: -1000px;">Hello, group, just updating with the info I received at Guitar Works in Charlotte today!
beautiful sunburst finish, front just one little mark around the pots, the back is almost flawless, some dings around corners, looks great for it's age. Thrilled to get it! it has almost the same slim profile neck as my 59 Les Paul Special, which is my favorite neck, so finding this guitar with this neck, even better! I think the pickups are the original Tim Shaws, if anyone knows better by the pics, I'd love to hear it. The most interesting part are the two switches, 3 way for the bridge, and 2 way for the neck pickup. The guy I bought it from says they are coil tap switches, and that's what they sound like, I've only played it for 30 minutes or so. If any of you can decipher the wiring from the pic and explain what's going to me, I'd really appreciate it, I have no idea! I'm going to take to my local luthier who happens to be a knowledgable Gibson guy and let him disect it. Thanks!

Update: the pickups are Seymour Duncan "JBJ" wound by Maricela Juarez! My luthier and I were pleasantly surprised to find them. We still don't know what the original factory pickups were, I'd love to know if anyone wants to venture a guess. The 3 way switch on the bridge splits the coil and the capacitor adds a different tone in the 3rd position, the neck switch splits the coils as well. I can't find the original factory spec's on this guitar anywhere. the serial number is 82687533.</body>