• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Bridge humbucker not working.

nikhilsanju

Hi there.
I'd just purchased an Epiphone Les Paul plus top pro a week back. All of a sudden, today the bridge pickup stopped working. It seems to produce a very very low volume when the volume knob is turned up completely. The neck pickup is working very fine. Is there any problem? I really don't know what to do. But I've observed that by slightly pressing the humbucker cover, it seems to work fine just for a few seconds and again the volume goes completely low. If anyone has any insight on this, please let me know.

kevinkjs

Most likely you have either a loose connecting wire to that pick-up, a poor ground to the volume pot,
or a couple of wires contacting each other when they shouldnt. Take the backplate cover off and take
a look around for loose wires, bad solder connections or loose ground wires. Sometimes you just have
to start a process of elimination of possible causes. When looking around, try not to pull or wiggle any
connections to hard. A gentle tug usually gives away a bad connection. If everything looks o.k., the
only other place would be the connection to the 3 way switch. If your unfaniliar with wiring or don't
know anyone to ask, any decent music store will help you. It doesn't sound like a major issue to me,
these things happen from time to time. Good luck.

nikhilsanju

Most likely you have either a loose connecting wire to that pick-up, a poor ground to the volume pot,
or a couple of wires contacting each other when they shouldnt. Take the backplate cover off and take
a look around for loose wires, bad solder connections or loose ground wires. Sometimes you just have
to start a process of elimination of possible causes. When looking around, try not to pull or wiggle any
connections to hard. A gentle tug usually gives away a bad connection. If everything looks o.k., the
only other place would be the connection to the 3 way switch. If your unfaniliar with wiring or don't
know anyone to ask, any decent music store will help you. It doesn't sound like a major issue to me,
these things happen from time to time. Good luck.

Hi
Thanks for your reply. Yes there is a loose connection at the pickup. That wire at the pickup is loose. But the pickup is soldered to the pickup cover. If I need to solder the wire firmly, I might have to take off the pickup cover. How do I do that. And if I do that, do I need to fill in the gaps with wax again to put the cover back?

kevinkjs

I'm trying to get a mental picture of what you're describing. Can you see the connection at all or just going by feel?
If you are convinced that's where your problem is and need to remove the cover, you have to use a soldering iron to
heat and break the cover to pick-up connection. You could heat the connection and use a toothpick or something thin
and non-metallic to disconnect the p/u from the cover. A razor or very small screw can be used to gradually work the
cover free. Go slow and work all around little by little. I took the cover off my LP's bridge p/u and bent the cover a
little too much. After your loose connection is fixed, a small dab of solder is all that's need to re-attach the cover. I
sure wish I could see a couple of pictures if you're capable of providing them. I'll check on you later and for a few
days and will gladly offer any help that I can if I'm capable. Cheers.

kevinkjs

I forgot about the wax issue. My p/u's weren't waxed so just see if the wax stays somewhat in place, if not
keep it for just pressing back in place. I don't think a perfect seal all around is that critical. Good luck.

nikhilsanju

I forgot about the wax issue. My p/u's weren't waxed so just see if the wax stays somewhat in place, if not
keep it for just pressing back in place. I don't think a perfect seal all around is that critical. Good luck.

Hi thanks for your messages. I took it to a tech today. He opened it up and found that a big wire that comes from the pickup had issues. It consists of 4 tiny wires and one of them was cut. He then soldered them. But now when I came home, and played my guitar, the neck pickup sounds louder than much bridge pickup. At both pickups volume max, the neck pup still sounds louder than the bridge. I've also tried raising the pup but it's not made any significant difference. Please help me out.