• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

P.A.F. Pickup Secrets: Shootout - Brass vs. Steel Bobbin Screws

jwalker

Les Paul Forum Sponsor
Here's another P.A.F. pickups shootout video where I compare the tonal difference between Brass and Steel bobbin mounting screws. You might be surprised that this tiny part may have an affect on the tone of a P.A.F. pickup. Enjoy the video . Subscribe to my youtube channel and please post comments, questions and even suggestions for future videos. Thanks!

marshall1987

The steel screws sound brighter than the brass screws, and have a faster attack.

The brass screws sound a little warmer and rounder.

Only caveat is I listened to the video on a 15" MacBook Pro. YMMV.

JLee

Pretty noticeable difference! Steel is louder, brighter and punchier!

TM1

Same thing with the P-90 soapbar mounting screws. Bass= smoother, Steel=brighter.

TM1

I have a very early Pat.# in the neck of my R-0. Pulled it out and it has slot-head steel screws. Great sounding pickup, but was curious as to what was in there...There's a zebra PAF in the bridge that sounds perfect, but the mate for this is in my ES-335TDC `63 block inlay reissue's bridge. I'll have to see if that pickup has them too.

TM1

The bridge PAF has Phillips head steel screws.. my other early Pat.#(in the bridge of my ES335 ‘63 ri) has slothead brass screws..