• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

57 Bridge PU doesn't work with cover on

michaelb

Ive been experimenting changing magnets in my 57/57+ Classic Pu's and suddenly my bridge PU lost volume. When the selector switch is in middle position there is only volume from the neck BUT I can notice a tonal change when turning the bridge tone from 10-1 in this position. There is no volume in the lead or bridge position. Now, after checking all solder joints I sprayed contact cleaner still no bridge volume. Here is the thing, I took the PU cover off and the bridge works fine. When I put the cover back on there was no volume. Any ideas to enlighten me.

AJCR

Then the cover is causing the issue. It is metal, so you need to ensure that it is not shorting hookup wires.

michaelb

I used a dremel tool wheel to cut through the solder carefully, as I always do. I removed the cover. I usually place a thin piece of painters tape between the screws and lugs and place 4-5 drops of a silicone evenly spaced on the tape when putting the pickup back together. Ive seen this done by others. Anyway, I pull the cover off and easily remove the tape/silicone. I carefully push out the magnet and slide the new one in. I apply the tape/silicone and solder the cover to both sides. No sound. If I remove the tape/silicone and solder and place cover on, no sound. If I remove the cover it works fine. Why all of a sudden?

AJCR

The cover can do two possible things......be the short itself, or mechanically move something that creates the short. You need to track down which it is.

cincyguitar

I had 57 classics on my LP...sounded awful....get rid of them and get some Pearly Gates on it

michaelb

Ok!, I’ve been thinking of 2 changes: Change my volume pots to 550 and eventually getting some Wolfetone Legends. I’m searching for “beefy” and clarity and I love the middle selector switch and all the play with the vol/tone knobs. I love to experiment. But tell you what, I’m beginning to believe a lot has to do with the amp......and of course ones fingers/ability and swagger.

David Meiland

I recently put some pickup covers on and after doing so, one pickup didn't work. My meter said it was completely shorted. I took the cover off and installed it again. The second time I covered the slugs in the second coil completely with masking tape, following a video from a Fralin tech that I found. Could the cover have shorted the pickup by bridging the slugs to the metal body of the pickup? I don't have an uncovered pickup here to check...

J.D.

I recently put some pickup covers on and after doing so, one pickup didn't work. My meter said it was completely shorted. I took the cover off and installed it again. The second time I covered the slugs in the second coil completely with masking tape, following a video from a Fralin tech that I found. Could the cover have shorted the pickup by bridging the slugs to the metal body of the pickup? I don't have an uncovered pickup here to check...

No, as the slugs touch the bar magnet which touches the baseplate. When a cover shorts a pickup it is generally a lead wire to bobbin hookup wire connection touching the inside of the cover.

Trans-Am

.....don't go putzin around on pups you can't put back together. As easy it's done and said. You have to do your homework first and foremost. This looks like it's due for a replacement as such or have it done by a tech = $$$ if you cant put it back to original state. Them pups are made and installed the way it should be, unless you you are a pickup guru yourself.:hmm

You can do find a lot for helpful tips here as like above by searching.:dude: Besides them 57's are a great sounding pups the way it is. Bur removing the cover did it in and it was an easy fix too.

Good Luck!:jim