• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Ultimate Flying V Playlist?

Ed Driscoll

Les Paul Forum Member
Jimmy Page on "You Shook Me," apparently:

It’s hard for people to believe, but I just used my Fender Telecaster for the entire album, except for one track. Somebody was trying to sell me a Gibson Flying V at the time. I don’t what made them think I could afford it, because I clearly couldn’t, but I asked them if I could just try it out. I brought it into Olympic and used it on “You Shook Me.” With those big humbuckers, it was so powerful you can hear it breaking up the amp in the middle of the song. I could’ve tidied it up, but I really liked hearing the amp really struggle to get the sound out. It’s really fighting through the electronics to get out of that speaker. I’m not sure what happened to the guitar. It might’ve found its way to Keith Richards or something, but I really don’t know.

Ed Driscoll

Les Paul Forum Member
I don't know if he actually used it on this track, but Lonnie Mack was always associated with the Flying V:

The Shifter

Van Halen - Hot For Teacher

And I think(?) Girl Gone Bad.

Eddie-Van-Halen-Flying_V_1.jpg

lpnv59

All Access/Backstage Pass
From the Kinks video at the bottom of the thread, maybe it found it's way to Dave Davies.

Dave found his V in the USA. They flew into LAX I assume because they were scheduled to appear on Shindig. When they landed his guitar had disappeared. They only had a few hours to get a replacement. At a music store the salesman brought out the V collecting dust in the back. Don’t think he paid much for it either.