• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Trapeze Goldtop refin thread and undoing a partial conversion back to trapeze (PICS)

buyusfear

Wow! This is a fantastic thread! Thank you so much for taking the time to document the process and share it with us.

This is a great thread. Thank you.

I'm digging the exquisite photos as much as the mastery they are capturing.

Great thread! SO pleased to see this going back to original and not 'the other' way...

Incredible work so far. Wow.

I know it’s easy for me to say, but those plugs in the headstock and the damaged inlay would make me think about replacing the entire piece of holly...

Subscribed!

We're still debating what to do. They are also part of it's story, so if I can stabilize them with CA, you'll never know they're there. replacing the holly just add's $$$ to the project.

Great stuff. Thanks for sharing. Watching!

+1 ~ watching your magic !

that LP stencil looked like a decal , IMHO

Thanks everyone! Glad you're interested in the process.

The LP logo was indeed a decal, done at previous refin, I will be reapplying a silkscreen with correct coloured gold ink.

The owner dropped by a couple parts today, and informed me that he'd managed to purchase an early 50's flattop case, locally, and a Gibson early 50’s combo amp from Emerald City (allegedly formerly owned by our very own JBLplayer); Score!
I will get some really nice photos of this trio once completed.

He also finally sourced an original trapeze and found the truss rod cover from this guitar.

This is where I need your guys' help.
I've never seen a 50's Les Paul truss rod cover like this; however, it's quite vintage and period correct looking in bevel, shape, patina, etc???

I've posted some pics of it along side an original truss rod cover which I have in my parts bin. This guitars cover is the one on the left. Because practically nothing else is vintage on this thing, assuming this was another repro part is pretty safe; however, it just gives me the vibe of old.

Please let me know your thoughts.

trpeze-and-truss-rod-cover01_orig.jpg

trpeze-and-truss-rod-cover02_orig.jpg

Here it is on it's own.
The 3 ply was what first took me aback. then the lack of the thicker raised perimeter ridge, and no roll marks (but I know not all had roll marks) so it's not something I'd want to rule out as not vintage, at least not right away.

trpeze-and-truss-rod-cover03_orig.jpg

trpeze-and-truss-rod-cover04_orig.jpg

trpeze-and-truss-rod-cover05_orig.jpg

trpeze-and-truss-rod-cover06_orig.jpg

Authentic 50's cover on the right here (not to say this one on the left isn't. I've learned on this forum that anomalies can happen) It's obvious that its a much different part, but to rule it out as not period or era correct would be premature, at least with my knowledge:
trpeze-and-truss-rod-cover07_orig.jpg

trpeze-and-truss-rod-cover08_orig.jpg

trpeze-and-truss-rod-cover09_orig.jpg

And the beautifully aged MojoAxe trapeze conversion bar. Dan does such a nice job with adding patina to his parts!

trpeze-and-truss-rod-cover10_orig.jpg

Last edited:

buyusfear

I've been waiting for 2 years for a response to my previous post... no thoughts? J/lk

Well, it's been a bit, but I finally got around to dedicating some time to this old girl and will be wrapping it up this Fall. When I first ran into the headstock fiasco it was clear I wasn't going to be spraying it when I had wanted to, and as such I shelved it for when I had a better idea of my path forward.

So, since I last posted I got around to repairing the hookup wire on the P90's, which was previously butchered, as well as decided to completely replace the Holly.

Went from this:
early-no-serial-52-stripping-phase12_orig.jpg

to this:
filan-52-goldtop-pup-repair3_orig.jpg

to this (vintage correct masking tape of course, because tone :hank):
filan-52-goldtop-pup-repair4_orig.jpg

Next was dealing with the reamed out tuner holes. I drilled sideways grained mahogany plugs.
1952-les-paul-goldtop-re-refin-and-restoration07_orig.jpg

1952-les-paul-goldtop-re-refin-and-restoration09_orig.jpg

1952-les-paul-goldtop-re-refin-and-restoration11_orig.jpg

1952-les-paul-goldtop-re-refin-and-restoration12_orig.jpg

buyusfear

Next is cutting a new nylon nut since it came with that previously pictured poor replacement.

I use a proportionate string spacing ruler to give perfect string spacing feel.
sorokin-guitars-working-pics35.jpg

1952-les-paul-goldtop-re-refin-and-restoration-nut-2_orig.jpg

Then I focus on hand sanding down the holly to the correct thickness.

sorokin-guitars-52-les-paul-restoration-grain-filler07_orig.jpg

Then onto mounting the trapeze.
I drilled out the previously plugged holes and replugged with mahogany, and I'm glad that I did because what came out onto my drill bit was like epoxy'ish wood filler type shavings.
1952-les-paul-goldtop-re-refin-and-restoration18_orig.jpg

Then I lubricate the threads of the trapeze.
1952-les-paul-goldtop-re-refin-and-restoration15_orig.jpg

Using the MojoAxe compensated trapeze tailpiece, here you can see the only 'massaging' that may need to be done to a vintage trapeze when using this tailpiece; depending on the guitars neck angle.
1952-les-paul-goldtop-re-refin-and-restoration04_orig.jpg

1952-les-paul-goldtop-re-refin-and-restoration05_orig.jpg

And here it's slightly straightened out.
1952-les-paul-goldtop-re-refin-and-restoration14_orig.jpg

And here the adjustment feet are sitting as true as they can
1952-les-paul-goldtop-re-refin-and-restoration06_orig.jpg

Good to go.
1952-les-paul-goldtop-re-refin-and-restoration13_orig.jpg

buyusfear

very impressive work and quite masterful , my compliments !

Thank you.
I'd like to post some more photos; however, for some reason each time I post a lengthy picture reply my post is held for Mod review. Quite frustrating and somewhat discouraging.:hmm

buyusfear

Love this thread! Thanks for updating, please keep us posted :yah

Thanks. And I already did post more pics, yesterday. And yet we see nothing.
This is the only forum in 15+ years of using online forums, where I’ve had this issue.

miczap

Thanks. And I already did post more pics, yesterday. And yet we see nothing.
This is the only forum in 15+ years of using online forums, where I’ve had this issue.

Please stick with it! Beautiful work and very keen to see it progress.

akstrat61

Great work and I hope to see more! Keep it going!:jim:salude:jim

buyusfear

Love this thread! Thanks for updating, please keep us posted :yah

Please stick with it! Beautiful work and very keen to see it progress.

Great work and I hope to see more! Keep it going!:jim:salude:jim

Looks GREAT!!

Thanks all. I'll see how it goes but case in point, the comments I quoted came in after I'd posted the previous images, which then showed up over a day later. Just makes for disconnected discussion.

I see no pictures, just one link to a picture Am I missing something?
Not sure why that is, but I can see the pics from multiple platforms; computer, phone, etc.

buyusfear

Ok, so the next step after all of the heavy lifting has been done is to final sand the entire body and grain fill. This is just a light final sanding to assure than no fine scratches are present and its as good as it can be, as the bulk of the sanding and back round over touch ups, top carve refinement has already been done (since this thing had been quite over-sanded in parts).

sorokin-guitars-52-les-paul-restoration-grain-filler01_orig.jpg

Because the original gold finish is still preserved inside the pup routes, I've taken care throughout the process to protect it.

sorokin-guitars-52-les-paul-restoration-grain-filler03_orig.jpg

Then mask off all the bits needing masking.
sorokin-guitars-52-les-paul-restoration-grain-filler12_orig.jpg

And shoot a nice thinned coat of clear before pore filling.

sorokin-guitars-52-les-paul-restoration-grain-filler11_orig.jpg

thin sissy

We understand the whole "post pending" problems, so don't worry about the timeline getting strange. I can see all the pics FWIW :salude

buyusfear

Next is grain filler. I've been studying pore filler for many years, and constantly adjusting my mix to reflect what I thought it was like, what matches best to todays 70 year old looking filler, compensating for UV aging of clear, etc etc.
Based on this guitar, and my tests I went with this colour.

sorokin-guitars-52-les-paul-restoration-grain-filler14_orig.jpg

sorokin-guitars-52-les-paul-restoration-grain-filler16_orig.jpg

sorokin-guitars-52-les-paul-restoration-grain-filler17_orig.jpg

sorokin-guitars-52-les-paul-restoration-grain-filler18_orig.jpg

El Gringo

To me this is minding blowing perfection like you are building it from the begining and documenting the process along the way . Major compliments on the sideway plugs , pure genius on that to better match the orientation of the grain on the mahoganny !

buyusfear

You can see here how it warms up and takes on that classic contrasting grain look the natural back Lester's have once sprayed with nitro.

52-les-paul-clear-coat1_orig.jpg

1952-les-paul-restoration-spraying03_orig.jpg