• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

2018 58 Standard VOS Lemon Fade - Sonic Nirvana - Should I go for it?

Wiggy1956

[h=2][/h][h=2][/h]
Hi Guys
I've hankered after a Les Paul for some time. In 2017 I attempted to buy one. Trouble was I own a Gordon Smith 20th Anniversary Graduate modded with Seymour Duncan JB bridge and Jazz neck pickups. It trounced every Gibson USA Les Paul Traditional /Standard and the only Custom Shop model available to me at the time (was this a dud?). It was so much more responsive and alive in your hands. I therefore gave up at that stage.

2018 24/36 month Interest Free Credit deals tempted me back again. I tried the 2108 LP Trad. Nice guitar, ok, but again a little dead. Incidentally, noting the amount of anti Gibson comments around at the moment, this guitar was beautifully made and finished. I then tried a 2017 Custom Shop 1959 VOS Standard with Custom Buckers. This guitar was so much more alive. This guitar weighed about 9lbs (similar to the LP Trad). I then went onto a 2018 58 Standard VOS Lemon Fade. This guitar weighed 8lbs. This was like a wild animal in my hands. Playing an open E, A or G chord transitioned into glorious, resonant, never ending sustain with spine tingling overtones. On a more confusing note this guitar also had Custom Buckers but they had so much more bite. I've reserved this guitar and have a month to make my final decision.

For those similarly interested in buying a Les Paul, there is definitely a lot of variation out there. I would be interested in others experiences. I didn't try a lot of 2018 Gibson LP Traditionals this time, perhaps due to my experiences last time, but 3 guitars in, I think I've found something special. Ok it's not a '59 but I quite like the look of the plainer top and the neck isn't that much different from the '59 I played in my view. It sounds, however, better than any other guitar I've ever played. Should I go back and slog through a load more 2018 Gibson USA models in an attempt to save some money? Although I only tried one against the Custom Shop guitars, I can't help feeling that the long tenon and hide glue construction, light mahogany and Custom Buckers make a significant difference.

I can afford the 58 Custom at a stretch. What should I do?

Pip

It sounds like it spoke to you, go back with an open mind (& ears) if it’s still everything you first thought I would buy it. Job done got my Les Paul .

Wiggy1956

It sounds like it spoke to you, go back with an open mind (& ears) if it’s still everything you first thought I would buy it. Job done got my Les Paul .

Thanks Pip. That's great advice. Much appreciated.:)

El Gringo

+1 , Go back and play the 58 VOS again and if you have the same reaction again do not hesitate to buy it and rock out !

Grinch59

+1; Had the same experience about a year ago.
When I decided, that I needed a LP in my life, I tried loads of LP's in a huge local (Cologne, Germany) store. Trads, Stds, Classics from 2016 - 2017. I liked most of them. The only ones I didn't favour were the ones with factory strings. Try to find out, if the guitars are re strung. Maybe thats ony me, but the factory strings were "dull" sounding. Anyways. Never thought about a custom shop LP, as it is so much money and I wanted them not to be better than the standard rage. I tried to lie to myself, that there's might be a difference but mostly marketing related. However, I tried some custom shop guitars later and from the very first chord I was blown away. Pretty much the same as you said. the guitar was so much more resonant, just loud and clear and sounded already very musical without amplification. But the price tag! I knew, that I didn't want a non-custom shop but knew that I didn't want custom shop because of the price (I bought a PRS CU 24 and wanted to scale down my investments - she had to leave for the LP:) ).
I took me almost another year with numerous visits in the store when I finally bought a CS LP. I remember that day pretty well. I was in the store just for fun and the customshop area manager told me, that he has some fine 2017 CS models in storeage. That day, I spend 4h on one chair and played almost all of the 2017 models, some std & true historics and special editions e.g. CC and Murphy ones. I knew, that I would buy one, but didn't knew which. Eventually, I fell in love with a 58 2017 CS in Dirty Lemon and gloss finish. It just stood out, was so so so loud and clear, superb setup (for my taste) and sounded just right through amps to my ears. And I was so happy, that the more expensive ones didn't ticked all boxes for me as this did. Only one CC came close but that was out of scope as it was almost twice the money.

So please excuse me for that long story, but I wanted to express, that if a guitar fits you, then go for it (if you can afford it). There is very little in life (for me) that comes close to a guitar that fullfils you. It is just another level of "satisfaction". You will feel it when you play, because you play it diffently and for me - I smile! :)

Wiggy1956

+1; Had the same experience about a year ago.
When I decided, that I needed a LP in my life, I tried loads of LP's in a huge local (Cologne, Germany) store. Trads, Stds, Classics from 2016 - 2017. I liked most of them. The only ones I didn't favour were the ones with factory strings. Try to find out, if the guitars are re strung. Maybe thats ony me, but the factory strings were "dull" sounding. Anyways. Never thought about a custom shop LP, as it is so much money and I wanted them not to be better than the standard rage. I tried to lie to myself, that there's might be a difference but mostly marketing related. However, I tried some custom shop guitars later and from the very first chord I was blown away. Pretty much the same as you said. the guitar was so much more resonant, just loud and clear and sounded already very musical without amplification. But the price tag! I knew, that I didn't want a non-custom shop but knew that I didn't want custom shop because of the price (I bought a PRS CU 24 and wanted to scale down my investments - she had to leave for the LP:) ).
I took me almost another year with numerous visits in the store when I finally bought a CS LP. I remember that day pretty well. I was in the store just for fun and the customshop area manager told me, that he has some fine 2017 CS models in storeage. That day, I spend 4h on one chair and played almost all of the 2017 models, some std & true historics and special editions e.g. CC and Murphy ones. I knew, that I would buy one, but didn't knew which. Eventually, I fell in love with a 58 2017 CS in Dirty Lemon and gloss finish. It just stood out, was so so so loud and clear, superb setup (for my taste) and sounded just right through amps to my ears. And I was so happy, that the more expensive ones didn't ticked all boxes for me as this did. Only one CC came close but that was out of scope as it was almost twice the money.

So please excuse me for that long story, but I wanted to express, that if a guitar fits you, then go for it (if you can afford it). There is very little in life (for me) that comes close to a guitar that fullfils you. It is just another level of "satisfaction". You will feel it when you play, because you play it diffently and for me - I smile! :)

Hi Grinch. It's really awesome to hear other peoples stories. Its sounds like we both homed in on virtually identical guitars. That's really spooky. Mine is also well over £1k cheaper than the 59 Custom Standards.

Wiggy1956

Here a pic. of the beast. I love the fact that it looks like it's been played for many years but looked after well.
285207-285095-88277%20%2818%29.jpg

El Gringo

My compliments as that is a killer Lemonburst finish and the figure and color are awesome . Congrats !

Cav

I think you've found THE one who's the mojo. Like I found my R8 in 2013 and is still my number 1.
Jump on it, you won't regret it. :dude:

Wiggy1956

My compliments as that is a killer Lemonburst finish and the figure and color are awesome . Congrats !

Thanks El Gringo. I think it's got a bit more grain pattern the 58's normally have. It just looks absolutely classic to me.

Wiggy1956

I think you've found THE one who's the mojo. Like I found my R8 in 2013 and is still my number 1.
Jump on it, you won't regret it. :dude:

Cheers Cav. I think you're right. There is something about that Les Paul sound that can't be beaten when you get the right one . I understand 2013 was a killer year for R8s. Any pics?

Cav

Cheers Cav. I think you're right. There is something about that Les Paul sound that can't be beaten when you get the right one . I understand 2013 was a killer year for R8s. Any pics?

Here it is:
KAHThYH.jpg

A half is lighlty flamed, the other side has nice flecks. And the sound... Incredible!

Wiggy1956

Here it is:
KAHThYH.jpg

A half is lighlty flamed, the other side has nice flecks. And the sound... Incredible!

Cav. That is so cool. I've really gotten into this colour from being a cherry sunburst fan.

bumps

Hi
Back in 2009 I had four Les Pauls a Standard, a Classic, a Special and a Junior, all USA models all great guitars. I had been thinking about "upgrading" to a Custom Shop model for a while so one day set off to World Guitars in Stroud, England with a wad of cash just waiting to be wowed. So I enter the shop with no pre expectations and a money no object outlook. Many hours later after playing every Custom Shop Les Paul they had, which included R7's, R8's, R9's and R0's I left the store with an Iced Tea VOS 1958 reissue. It hands down blew all the others away. It played better, sounded better, smelt better just plain was better (obviously for my tastes). Anyway fast forward nine years and I now have just one Les Paul Yep that R8 still the best guitar I've ever played. So if you think you have found the one GO FOR IT!!!!!!

Wiggy1956

Hi
Back in 2009 I had four Les Pauls a Standard, a Classic, a Special and a Junior, all USA models all great guitars. I had been thinking about "upgrading" to a Custom Shop model for a while so one day set off to World Guitars in Stroud, England with a wad of cash just waiting to be wowed. So I enter the shop with no pre expectations and a money no object outlook. Many hours later after playing every Custom Shop Les Paul they had, which included R7's, R8's, R9's and R0's I left the store with an Iced Tea VOS 1958 reissue. It hands down blew all the others away. It played better, sounded better, smelt better just plain was better (obviously for my tastes). Anyway fast forward nine years and I now have just one Les Paul Yep that R8 still the best guitar I've ever played. So if you think you have found the one GO FOR IT!!!!!!

Hi Bumps. Wow! These 58s seem to be the ones to go for. I'd love to see a photo of yours.

If you can afford now, even at a stretch, it’s a no brainer. You will have the guitar for years and in a few years you won’t give a rats ass how much you paid if you still love it. Go for it.

Big Al

They are more affordible for sure. They offer much the same functionality as a R9 but do not in general blow R9's away or resonate more. I've played dozens, own both R8 & 9 from 2013. They all show the same range of tones with no model having a greater likelihood of blow 'em all away resonant majesty.

It's good to search and find guitars that speak to us. Glad you found yours, my 13 Sunrise Teaburst R8 is real nice and my pal Bob' M2M 2014 lefty R8, (a mirror image of Jeff Beck Burst), is just superb on all counts.

Increased cost in R9 is reflected in higher grade timbers and finish color options.