• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Burstbuckers & Orange Amps

Classicplayer

Good to be back. I haven't posted in ages, it seems. I bought a new Les Paul Trad
a few weeks ago. It features the Burstbuckers 1 & 2 which for me is preferred over some
higher output pickups that Gibson and others offer.

I'm playing the guitar through an Orange Dark Terror, set mostly as a “cleaner” tone with
a hint of “crunch” and that characteristic “fuzz” that Oranges are capable of. I think I've worked out what the best pup heights are to get this style of tone. My question is though: when I glance down at the guitar's controls, I see between 9 and 10 on my neck pup volume and 8 - 10 on neck tone;

The bridge pup volume is 8.5 to 9 with its tone at (usually) 7 - 8. Of course, I should state that these are TV set volumes at home and not in a gig environment.

I don't have any room on the knobs to go louder and below those numbers I run into darker tones. I prefer brighter ala Jimmy Page bright. Is this normal, or am I not setting my amp correctly? The guitars is a stock instrument with no mods.

Classicplayer

El Gringo

Good to be back. I haven't posted in ages, it seems. I bought a new Les Paul Trad
a few weeks ago. It features the Burstbuckers 1 & 2 which for me is preferred over some
higher output pickups that Gibson and others offer.

I'm playing the guitar through an Orange Dark Terror, set mostly as a “cleaner” tone with
a hint of “crunch” and that characteristic “fuzz” that Oranges are capable of. I think I've worked out what the best pup heights are to get this style of tone. My question is though: when I glance down at the guitar's controls, I see between 9 and 10 on my neck pup volume and 8 - 10 on neck tone;

The bridge pup volume is 8.5 to 9 with its tone at (usually) 7 - 8. Of course, I should state that these are TV set volumes at home and not in a gig environment.

I don't have any room on the knobs to go louder and below those numbers I run into darker tones. I prefer brighter ala Jimmy Page bright. Is this normal, or am I not setting my amp correctly? The guitars is a stock instrument with no mods.

Classicplayer
Try adjusting the volume and tone controls on your amp to find your desired sound .

Black58

I've been running a 2001 AD15-10 combo, since new. An assortment of reissues through it. Most recently, a 2009 R8 with non potted BB1-2s that I bought new, and haven't played anything else since. That which you speak of is normal. That which you seek is definitely in there. You have to dig. :ganz