• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Average person stops seeking out new music by age 28: survey

Foggy72

I'm not exactly sure what this article is trying to say, but here it is:

AFP
Published Tuesday, July 24, 2018 1:03PM EDT

Listening to the same songs over and over rather than seeking out new tunes? You have plenty of company -- if you're 28 or over.
A survey by streaming service Deezer found that the average person reaches "musical paralysis" -- when she or he primarily listens to familiar tracks and does not seek out new genres -- at the age of 27 years and 11 months.

Musical discovery peaks nearly three years earlier, with 25-year-olds on average listening to at least 10 new songs per week.
Deezer surveyed 5,000 adults online across Brazil, France, Germany, the United Kingdom and the United States.
Brazilians reached musical paralysis the earliest, at 23 years and two months, while Germans stayed curious the longest, hitting paralysis at 31 years old.

A majority across the five countries said they wished they could encounter more new music.
Demanding work schedules were the top reason given for having closed ears, with others cited including child care duties and a sense of being overwhelmed by musical choice.

Deezer released the survey as it promoted its feature Flow, which mixes a listener's favourites with new music recommended based on previous choice.
Deezer, a competitor of streaming platforms such as Spotify, Apple Music and Tidal, is based in Paris and has 14 million monthly active users

musekatcher

Not news. Since the first rock records appeared in the 1950's, the primary consumer group for music is the 14-24 age group, and predominately females, like 3 to 1. Many consumer goods that aren't durable goods also are dominated by the same age group. There's a parable somewhere about those who are easily parted from their money. I'm pretty sure I stopped buying music around 25, when I met my would-be wife, had kids right away, and had no time or money to spend on music - but I still picked and made my own music.

Steve Craw

Formerly Lefty Elmo
Not me. I'm always looking for something new, even if it's new (old school) music. Recently discovered Larkin Poe, incredible! I'm headed to my local shop this afternoon to pick up the latest release by The Marcus King Band, on vinyl. Looking forward to the new Magpie Salute release in August. BTW, I'm 61

marshall1987

Baloney! Bologna! Nonsense.

I came to appreciate and love Classical music in my 40s. Once you have seen Itzhak Perlman and Isaac Stern you can never go back!

Lately I listen to Classic Rock and Classical music about 50/50. Hard to argue with Mozart and Vivaldi, and Led Zeppelin and Lynyrd Skynyrd! :salude

Foggy72

Baloney! Bologna! Nonsense.

I came to appreciate and love Classical music in my 40s. Once you have seen Itzhak Perlman and Isaac Stern you can never go back!

Lately I listen to Classic Rock and Classical music about 50/50. Hard to argue with Mozart and Vivaldi, and Led Zeppelin and Lynyrd Skynyrd! :salude

Well that's the thing that confused me about the article. What is NEW music? New material appearing on radio or the pop charts? Or anything that's NEW to you, regardless of era. Like you I am finally listening to Classical music and there is magnificent stuff in there. I went through the same discovery with jazz back in '84. For millenials, there is a huge body of pop/rock going back to the 50's to be discovered. And all free on YouTube, which we never had. Yet do they?

2002standardmat

I guess that confirms it then, I ain’t average.

Even within my known genres I will only stop when I either go dead or die.

Discovering a great band you have never heard before is one of life’s pleasures for me. There is always more to find too.

Don

I keep seeing this come up on musical sites. I don't think musicians count as and average person when it comes to music, though I often kid several of my friends that they don't like anything that came out after about 1978 (about when they were 15 years old), so maybe there's some truth to this.

Cogswell

The Duke of Dumbassery
It's just not true & goes to show how wrongness is made. I listen to new music all the time. Never mind that it might be nearly 100 rys old, it's new to me

renderit

survey responders only confuse the real questions...

Yeah, but you don't stop seeking 28 year olds 'til yer 53. So there's that...