• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Gibson Les Paul Traditional 2019 vs. Gibson Les Paul Standard 2019

Generation

Hi, I'm interested in the Gibson Les Paul Traditional 2019 and Gibson Les Paul Standard 2019. You can read more about these new 2019 models here: https://thehub.musiciansfriend.com/bits/gibson-2019-electric-guitars-previewed-at-summer-namm-19

I know the complete specs aren't up yet for the 2019 models, but I take it they will be similar to the 2018 models. Here are links to those.

Gibson Les Paul Traditional 2018: http://www.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/2018/USA/Les-Paul-Traditional-2018.aspx

Gibson Les Paul Standard 2018: http://www.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/2018/USA/Les-Paul-Standard-2018.aspx

Here are where the 2018 models contrast (Traditional first, Standard second).

Price: $2,699 vs. $3,299

Wood Species: AA Figured Maple Top with Mahogany Body vs. AAA Figured Maple Top with Mahogany Body

Neck Profile: Rounded vs. Asymmetrical slim taper

Fingerboard Radius: 12" vs. Compound

Hardware Finish: Nickel vs. Chrome

Bridge: ABR vs. Aluminum Tune-O-Matic

Tuning Machines: Vintage Style Keystones vs. Locking Kidneys

Control Knobs: Gold Top Hats with Pointers vs. Amber Top Hats

Switch Washer: Cream vs. Cream (not mounted)

Jack Plate: Cream vs. Chrome

Neck Pickup: BurstBucker 1 vs. Burstbucker Pro Rhythm

Bridge Pickup: BurstBucker 2 vs. Burstbucker Pro Lead

Controls: 2 volumes, 2 tones, 1 toggle switch, hand-wired with orange drop capacitors vs. 2 volumes, 2 tones, 1 toggle switch, with 4 push-pull

Additionally, the Traditional has a non-weight relieved body, and the Standard has an Ultra-Modern weight relief.

Do these differences justify the $600 premium for the Standard? What are the main differences in terms of playability? Are the push-pull volume and tone knobs that useful? Again, I'm interested in the 2019 models, but I think these 2018 differences give a good -- if not identical -- idea of what the differences will look like in the 2019 models.

Bob Womack

Funny you should ask. I was just looking for a Traditional. Here's the deal: I was looking for a fairly traditional LP that would be lighter and sweeter than my '74 Kalamazoo small script Standard LP. I asked the guy at the store to pull down that gorgeous Traditional at the top of his wall and ended up spending an hour with it before I discovered that it was actually a Standard. I made my choice without ever popping up a push-pull switch. And, lucky you, I'm very near completing my review of it so I'll drop a link to it, HERE.
On the weight, the average Traditional is pretty heavy, much like a '70s LP. We are talking up near 10-11 pounds in many cases. I found something lighter and more balanced in the Standard at 7.8 pounds.

On the pickups, I can say that it appears that the resonance point has shifted upwards a few kHz on the Burstbucker Pros so they are less upper-midrange honky and a little brighter than the Burstbucker 1 & 2 or '57 Classic sets. I'm still chewing that one over.

On the fingerboard radius, I can say that I bend much more comfortably in the upper octave on this guitar than I have on others.

On the neck carve, I prefer a '60s slim taper and I think this one is more comfortable to me than the Traditional's '50s rounded.

On the chrome vs. nickel, I prefer the worry-free nature of chrome. My skin PH appears to make nickel haze and corrode in a way that isn't appealing to me.

The switch positions make the guitar more flexible but I'm not sure I'll use them much.

Oh, and finally, the AAA tops on the Standards are pretty darn nice.

More in the article.

Bob

El Gringo

Funny you should ask. I was just looking for a Traditional. Here's the deal: I was looking for a fairly traditional LP that would be lighter and sweeter than my '74 Kalamazoo small script Standard LP. I asked the guy at the store to pull down that gorgeous Traditional at the top of his wall and ended up spending an hour with it before I discovered that it was actually a Standard. I made my choice without ever popping up a push-pull switch. And, lucky you, I'm very near completing my review of it so I'll drop a link to it, HERE.
On the weight, the average Traditional is pretty heavy, much like a '70s LP. We are talking up near 10-11 pounds in many cases. I found something lighter and more balanced in the Standard at 7.8 pounds.

On the pickups, I can say that it appears that the resonance point has shifted upwards a few kHz on the Burstbucker Pros so they are less upper-midrange honky and a little brighter than the Burstbucker 1 & 2 or '57 Classic sets. I'm still chewing that one over.

On the fingerboard radius, I can say that I bend much more comfortably in the upper octave on this guitar than I have on others.

On the neck carve, I prefer a '60s slim taper and I think this one is more comfortable to me than the Traditional's '50s rounded.

On the chrome vs. nickel, I prefer the worry-free nature of chrome. My skin PH appears to make nickel haze and corrode in a way that isn't appealing to me.

The switch positions make the guitar more flexible but I'm not sure I'll use them much.

Oh, and finally, the AAA tops on the Standards are pretty darn nice.

More in the article.

Bob

Outstanding review . Very thorough and very detailed .Very Beautiful Les Paul . Congrats !

Thundermtn

I just went to 4 push pulls JPP style. I love it, well worth the $ spent on the aftermarket harness. The best thing is that no matter what amp I'm plugged into I can get a good tone regardless of the limitations of the amp. Right now my 3 that I'm playing with on the regular are my Triple rec, Twin rev, and AC15. Being able to make the guitar sound fatter or thinner with go OOP really make it fun.

Zentar

My Weight relieved Standard weighs 8lbs 2 ozs which is easy to tote.
The difficulty in choosing a Standard over a Traditional is that the Traditional has so many beautiful tops to choose from. It is not an easy choice but it is a good quandary to find yourself in

Last edited:

Big Al

I think if you have to ask, then maybe you don't grasp the difference, or you have little preference. That list makes for clear spec difference for two distinct versions. I'd get the less costly one as the $600 spec seems more important at this point.

You might spend serious time at a well stocked store if you can to see for yourself. It really is your choice and not one others should make for you. No right or wrong choice here, just personal.

chipss36

I think it’s misleading to say trads are all, 11,10 pounds,
my 17 is 8.6 pounds and solid, go pull up say zzounds that lists weights. Or any store that lists weights. Not a one of them is 10 pounds,
https://www.zzounds.com/item--GIBLPTD18

just not true trads are heavy.
I would play both first, huge difference in necks.

Last edited:

cincyguitar

Get the Les Paul Trad 2019...save money....mine sounds awesome....you will love it.!...:dude:

Big Al

I just went to 4 push pulls JPP style. I love it, well worth the $ spent on the aftermarket harness. The best thing is that no matter what amp I'm plugged into I can get a good tone regardless of the limitations of the amp. Right now my 3 that I'm playing with on the regular are my Triple rec, Twin rev, and AC15. Being able to make the guitar sound fatter or thinner with go OOP really make it fun.

Glad to hear that. The incredible array of useful tones provided by the JP wiring is so wide open. I like the Standard. Well worth the dough and IMO a better playing quality guitar.

TradProPlus17

2017 Traditional Pro Plus seems to be a mix of the two, it has locking Grover’s , push pull knobs, slim taper neck, the non weight relieved body, BB 1 / 2 .. to me it was the perfect in between of standard and traditional models.. I’m not sure if they made in 2018

Big Al

Slim taper neck is a deal killer for me and way too many make way too much out of weight relief.

renderit

I just wanted to pass along the knowledge (and gas) that I had nothing to do with this young mans color choices and method of easily displaying the differences of multiple choices. I do (upon reflection) think it is genius and the use of color (to my eye) shows a level of intellect not commonly found in most (read any) mortals. (Particularly those still playing Mortal Combat.) Three thumbs up Generation! You have flaunted 4 dimensional (and possibly trapezoidal) thinking. Folding space for some is but a vertices away... Kudos.

AA00475Bassman

My neck profiles are varied , slim taper profile is not a issue for me if the neck is stable .