• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

339 or es les paul

rutledj

Just wondering if anyone has had a chance to compare these two instruments side by side. I've been wanting a semi-hollow but something a bit smaller than the 335. Both of these seem to fit the bill. Just wonder which, if either, would have the more hollow sound characteristic. The LP center block is pared down and I was thinking it might actually have more of that hollow trait but that's just a guess.

I'd like to have something that covers blues and jazz without going full hollow. Open to suggestions.

Thanks
Rut

zacknorton

I’ve played a bunch of both. The es Les Paul has a considerably smaller center block than the 339

all of the 10 or so es les Paul’s have been super loud acoustically. The 339’s not as much.

Hasty generalization? Maybe. But it’s all I got

love the sound of the es les.

wmachine

I have Es-335s and an ES-LP Special, the total strip down version. So no 339 to compare. But from all I can gather, if you're going for a 335 sound, the 339 will be by far closer to the 335. "Word is" the ES-LP is in between a 339 and an LP. I don't find the ES-LP to be anything like an LP or a 335. Kinda out there in no-mans land. Some, of course, really like it, and maybe the more deluxe ES-LPs are quite different. For me, there is not a gap to fill between the 335 and the LP.

Advice, as always, is play as many of what you are looking at as possible.

clayville

For me, there is not a gap to fill between the 335 and the LP.

Advice, as always, is play as many of what you are looking at as possible.

There is a gap if you don't own either an LP or a 335. :spabout

If the OP is looking for a smaller semi suitable for blues and jazz, don't forget the CS-336 and CS-356. Different construction than the 339 (339's are built like a smaller 335: centerblock with ply top/sides/back vs. the 336/356 which has block/sides routed from a solid slab of mahogany and a top carved from bookmatched maple like an LP with f-holes).
A CS-356 has been my main guitar for 15 years - has a warm, woody neck pickup great for blues and jazz, the bridge pickup can sound brighter than an LP sometimes (almost Tele-like). An extremely versatile guitar overall, imho - a bit of onboard knob twisting gets you a very wide range of sound.
You might also consider the Johnny A model too - a little more hollow than the 336/356 and has a Fender-scale neck.

Happy hunting. :salude

mdubya

I own 2 ES 335's, an Epi Sheraton, an ES 330, and an ES LP.

The 2 335's sound as different to each other as either one sounds to the ES LP.

The 335 with 57 Classics sounds almost identical to the Sheraton with 57 Classics.

The ES LP is a very interesting guitar. It is almost the exact same weight as my 330. It also shares some sonic territory with the 330, especially on cleaner tones. Over driven, the ES LP sounds a lot like an LP, to me. I will often pick it up over the 330 because I can go from warm, clean, jazzy 330 tones to Free and AC/DC and Led Zeppelin with very little compromise. The 330 is the nicest guitar I own, but the ES LP covers a lot of territory.

FWIW-the ES LP has MHS buckers in it as does the '59 RI 335. They sound surprisingly different even though the 335 is capable of some very airy, acoustic like tones.

For me, it would come down to which form you prefer: LP or mini 335?

Dilver

Neither. Look into a CS-336, either a used older one or the newer ones with the P90's. You owe yourself to at least check one out.

Bob Womack

Everyone seems to have a part of the spectrum he can cover. My main squeeze is an ES-335 and I play Les Pauls and SGs as well. I've also owned a couple of Flying Vs. I've never had an ES LP in my hands but I've tried out several ES-339s. There's a certain unique sound to the ES-335 that can be huge. My experience has been that ever ES-339 I've tried has sounded sort of flat, cardboardy, or small, when compared to my ES-335 and Les Pauls. Everyone else seems to think they are just a tad slimmer and brighter sounding than the ES-335. Just my observations. :hmm

Bob

renderit

Everyone seems to have a part of the spectrum he can cover. My main squeeze is an ES-335 and I play Les Pauls and SGs as well. I've also owned a couple of Flying Vs. I've never had an ES LP in my hands but I've tried out several ES-339s. There's a certain unique sound to the ES-335 that can be huge. My experience has been that ever ES-339 I've tried has sounded sort of flat, cardboardy, or small, when compared to my ES-335 and Les Pauls. Everyone else seems to think they are just a tad slimmer and brighter sounding than the ES-335. Just my observations. :hmm

Bob

Agreed. Until I slapped Wizz' and pio caps in it. Now it sounds like it was handed down by Thor! I think the 339 NEEDS a raunchy pickup. The standard burst buckers in mine did NOT cut it. It's a CS model by the way.

deytookerjaabs

336's are cool little beasts. But, one of the most fun times I've ever had on a rig that was not mine was a 339 through some clapton edition tweed fender amp, the two got along like soulmates. I still think about getting a rig like that, or at least get a 339 and fix my tweed pro clone.

BurstWurst

Agreed. Until I slapped Wizz' and pio caps in it. Now it sounds like it was handed down by Thor! I think the 339 NEEDS a raunchy pickup. The standard burst buckers in mine did NOT cut it. It's a CS model by the way.
I had the same experience with my 1st year CS ES-339. It did nothing for me with the 57 classics it came with new, I sold it to a friend. That friend offered it back to me a couple years later at a considerable discount. Dropped in low wind OX4s and an RS vintage 335 harness, and the guitar is now a tone monster. My go-to HB gigging guitar nowadays.