• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

1966 ES 335 - Looking for someone to restore Varitone

Drzguy

I have a 1966 ES 335 that someone at sometime had taken the Varitone out and plugged the hole. I am looking for someone that could restore the Varitone circuit. I live in S.E. Michigan but would consider a couple hour drive (I'd hate to ship the guitar). Any suggestions?

Tom Wittrock

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner
A 1966 ES-335 with a Varitone?
Was that a custom order original, or a modified guitar? :hmm

Drzguy

A 1966 ES-335 with a Varitone?
Was that a custom order original, or a modified guitar? :hmm

It looks like it is an original but I've only owned it 10 years or so. May have been a custom order. Here's the only pic I have of it - I'll try to take better pic tomorrow. It's on the right.

Last edited:

Drzguy

Here's a close-up shot of the plug in the guitar.

This guitar is in excellent shape other than this and replaced tuners.

Last edited:

ultra

The plugged hole looks too small for a previous Varitone pot installation. My guess is that it is a previous mini coil tap switch repair.

That's how it looks on my screen.

This is how my very early '65 looks without Varitone and pots so it appears that the hole for the Varitone is as large as the volume/tone pots

413959611.jpg

Last edited:

Drzguy

The plugged hole looks too small for a previous Varitone pot installation. My guess is that it is a previous mini coil tap switch repair.

That's how it looks on my screen.

This is how my very early '65 looks without Varitone and pots so it appears that the hole for the Varitone is as large as the volume/tone pots

413959611.jpg

Thanks for the info and the pic - I believe you are right.

Flogger

If the center block isn't hacked out by the bridge pickup, then there never was a Varitone.