• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Dickie Bett's SG with upper bout selector switch?

BluesForDan

All Access/Backstage Pass
I can't tell if it's a Gibson, there's a clamp on tuner in the way. It does have the flower pot. Looks like the walnut or faded to brown cherry finish. Selector switch on the upper bout like a Les Paul, two pickups and the four control knobs. I've got to find the picture again and host it but I thought I'd throw this up there to see if anybody knew anything?

BluesForDan

DcI804d.jpg

chasenblues

If you look close you'll see that the output jack and the control knobs have also been moved.

Cream Fan

It would be really interesting to see the back of this guitar. I'll bet there's a diagonal channel rout all the way from the switch to the control cavity. If not, then they had to drill a hole from the input jack in a similar manner as on the old all-mahogany Les Paul Customs.

Zeppelinguy85

If Gibson doesn’t release this with the name LeSG, their marketing department needs to be let go.

Ed A

I saw Betts at the Beacon this past Wednesday playing this guitar.... (if you can call it playing, a painful performance to watch, and very sad).... It is indeed a Gibson and from what Ive heard it was custom made for him by Gibson... seems like he wanted the toggle in the LP position so they had to extend the upper bout (weird looking!)... if you tried to put a toggle on a normal SG you'd be hitting it when playing.... also it was said to have a fifth pot, a master volume added for volume swells.... but I dont see any sign of that....

chasenblues

also it was said to have a fifth pot, a master volume added for volume swells.... but I dont see any sign of that....

He had that mod on one his other/earlier guitar/s(?) a few yrs ago(2014/15-ish)

rBuZe0nh.jpg

Ed A

You posting that photo just made me realize that with the new SG, now that the toggle has been moved to the top, the knobs/pots have all been moved much closer to the pickguard so he can do the volume swells.... cool idea... but still strange looking

marshall1987

I saw Betts at the Beacon this past Wednesday playing this guitar.... (if you can call it playing, a painful performance to watch, and very sad).... It is indeed a Gibson and from what Ive heard it was custom made for him by Gibson... seems like he wanted the toggle in the LP position so they had to extend the upper bout (weird looking!)... if you tried to put a toggle on a normal SG you'd be hitting it when playing.... also it was said to have a fifth pot, a master volume added for volume swells.... but I dont see any sign of that....

I had heard about Dicky's declining guitar playing capabilities. And I first noted it after watching the DVD "Dicky Betts & Great Southern". In the DVD you can see Dicky struggling at times. And you can see Dan Toler grimacing at times with Dicky's playing. And this DVD is about 12-13 years old as I recall.

For the life of me, I can't understand why Dicky would continue to play out given his declining capabilities. What is it with him? Southern pride? Whatever it is, someone close to Dicky ought to politely suggest he retire.

lespaul1970

I had heard about Dicky's declining guitar playing capabilities. And I first noted it after watching the DVD "Dicky Betts & Great Southern". In the DVD you can see Dicky struggling at times. And you can see Dan Toler grimacing at times with Dicky's playing. And this DVD is about 12-13 years old as I recall.

For the life of me, I can't understand why Dicky would continue to play out given his declining capabilities. What is it with him? Southern pride? Whatever it is, someone close to Dicky ought to politely suggest he retire.

..while I can't speak for how Dickey sounds right now- I actually think the DVD with Toler you're speaking of is great! I saw that lineup many times and Dan always made "grimacing" faces when he was on stage. That's just expression. I don't see anything in there that leads me to believe those faces were because of Dickey's playing. As for right now though- all the comments I have been reading remind me of seeing BB King so much in his later years. People would always critique his playing or his voice, and I'd always think "damn! You're still able to see this Icon! Just be happy and don't judge every little note!" Anytime someone like Dickey is out there performing we should all be honored and thrilled! The guy loves playing, like we all do, and just wanted to get out there and live the only life he's ever really known again. I respect that. I haven't seen Dickey play recently, but weather he's great or not as great as he once was makes no difference to me. As long as he's out there giving everything he can at each show, then I'm getting what I came to see. Play on Brother Dickey! So great to have you back!

Last edited:

marshall1987

..while I can't speak for how Dickey sounds right now- I actually think the DVD with Toler you're speaking of is great! I saw that lineup many times and Dan always made "grimacing" faces when he was on stage. That's just expression. I don't see anything in there that leads me to believe those faces were because of Dickey's playing. As for right now though- all the comments I have been reading remind me of seeing BB King so much in his later years. People would always critique his playing or his voice, and I'd always think "damn! You're still able to see this Icon! Just be happy and don't judge every little note!" Anytime someone like Dickey is out there performing we should all be honored and thrilled! The guy loves playing, like we all do, and just wanted to get out there and live the only life he's ever really known again. I respect that. I haven't seen Dickey play recently, but weather he's great or not as great as he once was makes no difference to me. As long as he's out there giving everything he can at each show, then I'm getting what I came to see. Play on Brother Dickey! So great to have you back!

I'm very happy for you. I too have a favorite old NFL quarterback who had the sense to retire when he was no longer able to play football.

mistersnappy

Yeah, its pretty hit and miss, playing wise. But then, there were times in *1971* where he is off, so....

lespaul1970

I'm very happy for you. I too have a favorite old NFL quarterback who had the sense to retire when he was no longer able to play football.

Football= completely physical, definitely a young man's game / Music= Timeless (what many get into when they can't play Sports anymore) That's the problem- so many treat Music like it's a competitive Sport. Just enjoy it. If you choose not to want to go see someone anymore then that's your choice. No need to pick them apart in a public forum.

Ed A

Hey guys... listen... I LOVE Dickey... and yeah I think its great when you can get an opportunity to see a legend and one of your faves...

But believe me this is not about 'hit or miss' or how he played with Dan 12 years ago...

Just listen to this Jessica from the Beacon a couple weeks ago.... its REALLY sad!.... and his poor son Duane was doing everything to try to keep it together...

The first 45 seconds alone should be enough to make the point...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ti7mMETUhgc

marshall1987

Football= completely physical, definitely a young man's game / Music= Timeless (what many get into when they can't play Sports anymore) That's the problem- so many treat Music like it's a competitive Sport. Just enjoy it. If you choose not to want to go see someone anymore then that's your choice. No need to pick them apart in a public forum.

Geez fella", can't take an opposing viewpoint? Why all the butt-hurt regarding what everyone has been saying for a long time? If you can't handle the truth, then I don't know what to tell ya'. As for my impressions of Dicky's recent performances....you call that "pick[ing] them apart in a public forum"? I don't see where I "picked apart" anyone.

I realize there are people out there who may not agree with my views. That's fine. But don't censor my speech or lecture to me. I don't appreciate it.

There are other guitar forums where it's the fashion to sugar-coat the truth and make up stuff. Maybe you should join one of those forums if the LPF causes you so much butt-hurt and grief. :dang

I'm done here. Adios amigos.

lespaul1970

Geez fella", can't take an opposing viewpoint? Why all the butt-hurt regarding what everyone has been saying for a long time? If you can't handle the truth, then I don't know what to tell ya'. As for my impressions of Dicky's recent performances....you call that "pick[ing] them apart in a public forum"? I don't see where I "picked apart" anyone.

I realize there are people out there who may not agree with my views. That's fine. But don't censor my speech or lecture to me. I don't appreciate it.

There are other guitar forums where it's the fashion to sugar-coat the truth and make up stuff. Maybe you should join one of those forums if the LPF causes you so much butt-hurt and grief. :dang

I'm done here. Adios amigos.

Amen Brother. See ya. No sugarcoating and no butt hurt going on here- just plain truth son. "But don't censor my speech or lecture to me." Bwwaahahaha! Don't see how anyone's done that - but YOU clearly can't take an opposing view. When you've left the impact on the guitar community that Dickey has, give us a call....I'm sure we won't waste too much time waiting for the phone to ring. The only thing you're right about is we're done here..way too many important things in life to focus on than this- which started as a thread about Dickey's guitar NOT his playing... I have way too much respect for this Forum and it's Members to keep going. Adios indeed son...

bern1

I’ve loved listening to Betts going on 48years. As someone else has pointed out, he has earned the right to play those songs however he wants to. At the same time there is no denying the reality of these recent performances. If he is happy with that, fine. Otherwise as a fan who wishes him well, I hope he helps himself out.

Foggy72

You know there's an audience involved here as well. They have put aside an evening and paid good coin to go to this concert. Just showing up doesn't count as a performance. That was awful playing and a complete disrespect for the audience. My expectation would be a Dicky Betts concert, playing his signature material at an accepable level of musicianship. Doesn't have to be flawless. But certainly not mediocre

skydog6653

Maybe you guys can take this outside… the OP asked a question about a particular model of SG.