• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Wiring Diagram for 2017 SG Standard T 57 Classic Pickups?

njschneider2

New to this forum, so apologies if SG posts are not allowed here! I tried registering on Everything SG but they said I was a robot and I can't access the site anymore.

Anyway, I'm trying to replace the quick connect harness in my 2017 Gibson SG Standard T with Emerson pots and orange drop caps. I got everything soldered and connected, but now the max volume is much lower than my other guitars, and there is a hum unless I complete the ground (touch the pickups, strings, bigsby, etc). So I must have done something wrong.

I tried finding a wiring diagram for the 57 Classic pickups that are in the SG but without much success. I thought I saw a diagram that said: Red hot, green and white taped off, black + bare to ground. So that's what I did. But I feel like I saw other people tape off the black and white wires and solder green + bare to ground.

I feel like the low volume tells me something is grounded that shouldn't be. I've also grounded the bare wire from the guitar cavity.

Any guesses as to what is wrong? I'll try to post some pictures later, but for now I was just hoping to get a general diagram for how the 4 conductors should be connected.

njschneider2

Maybe I should add - I didn't solder the green and white together and cap them off, I simply left the wires unstripped (i.e. no bare wire exposed) and taped them together. Do these wires need to actually be connected/soldered together before taping them off?

chasenblues

I tried finding a wiring diagram for the 57 Classic pickups that are in the SG but without much success. I thought I saw a diagram that said: Red hot, green and white taped off, black + bare to ground. So that's what I did. But I feel like I saw other people tape off the black and white wires and solder green + bare to ground.

I feel like the low volume tells me something is grounded that shouldn't be. I've also grounded the bare wire from the guitar cavity.

Any guesses as to what is wrong? I'll try to post some pictures later, but for now I was just hoping to get a general diagram for how the 4 conductors should be connected.

From somethings i've read Gibson has/had changed the color code on the bridge pickup.(For some reason)Seen other threads elsewhere where some had removed/replaced the pcb board and had phasing issues.

Neck pickup its Black & bare=ground.
Bridge pickup its Green & bare= ground.

NECK
=========================
Black & Bare = Ground
Green & White = Together
Red = Hot / Volume Pot Input

BRIDGE
=========================
Green & Bare = Ground
Red & Black = Together
White = Hot / Volume Pot Input

njschneider2

Thanks! Is that certainly confirmed - that Gibson switched up their wiring like that?

I found this wiring diagram on ThroBak's site, which shows black as ground for both neck and bridge. But if Gibson is doing their own thing now then I suppose that diagram doesn't matter.

50s_4_conductor_wiring.pdf

50s_4_conductor_wiring.pdf
6254121_orig.jpg

chasenblues

Thanks! Is that certainly confirmed - that Gibson switched up their wiring like that?

I found this wiring diagram on ThroBak's site, which shows black as ground for both neck and bridge. But if Gibson is doing their own thing now then I suppose that diagram doesn't matter.

Maybe the color code change had something to do with Gibson using or changing the type or layout of the pcb boards-and the quick connects i don't know. I've just read threads about people changing/upgrading the wiring in their guitars From quick connects & boards to old style("standard") type wiring and having issues with it.

njschneider2

Alright, so I soldered the green and white wires together and then taped them off. Made a huge difference on the output. So now when using the neck or bridge pickup, the volume seems fine. The middle toggle position is still pretty quiet though.

So, is low output an issue when two pickups are out of phase? If so, then chasenblues is probably correct and for the bridge I should ground green with bare, and solder black and white together. I think I'll do that eventually, but for now I'm just happy to have the output level back to normal.

chasenblues

So now when using the neck or bridge pickup, the volume seems fine. The middle toggle position is still pretty quiet though.

So, is low output an issue when two pickups are out of phase?

With the switch in the middle position,keep 1 of the vol controls on 10 and lower the other a little (7-8). Does it sound "nasally" sort of like this?(without the reverb of course)

njschneider2

Yeah, it definitely has a more interesting filter in the middle position. Almost resonant, giving it that subtle nasally sound.

Is that normal with 50s wiring? And is it also normal for the output to be lower in the middle position in 50s wiring? Sorry for these novice questions, but I'm new to the two volume, two tone guitars!

njschneider2

I found this diagram for 490R and 498T pickups. It shows not only the green being grounded on the bridge, but also shows white as hot on the bridge.

Would this be the same for the 57 Classics? It sounds like my issue is the same as chasenblues mentioned other people have.

If pickups are out of phase, would it be normal for the bridge output to be loud on its own, but then when both pickups are used (and wired out of phase) for the output to drop?

sgs_wiring.jpg

chasenblues

Is that normal with 50s wiring?

No, The pickups are out of phase.(And to pre-answer some,Yes i know that there are/were some guitars that were factory OOP but on LP's/SG's i wouldn't think it would be considered normal.)

is it also normal for the output to be lower in the middle position in 50s wiring?

No.

But "tone" is subjective,

If you like it, That's all that matters right?

njschneider2

Thanks for your help. It's absolutely insane that Gibson doesn't have wiring diagrams for their pickups on their site (unless I'm dense and they do and I just can't find them). But I've learned a bit more about my guitar through this thread, so I appreciate your help!

I really do like the sound in the middle position, but may need to stomp on a boost pedal when using it. If it becomes a bother, I may correct it. But for now I'm happy.

chasenblues

It's absolutely insane that Gibson doesn't have wiring diagrams for their pickups on their site (unless I'm dense and they do and I just can't find them).

There are diagrams/schematics available for many Gibson's(And Epiphone's) here,
(Even has amps)

http://archive.gibson.com/Service/Tech/Schematics/

I don't think there are any diagrams/schematics for the newer wiring with the quick connects and the pcb boards from Gibson itself.

El Gringo

With the switch in the middle position,keep 1 of the vol controls on 10 and lower the other a little (7-8). Does it sound "nasally" sort of like this?(without the reverb of course)

Was that you playing in this clip ? Because that sounds just like ole Riley B.B(Blues Boy) King . Nice playing and tone.