• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Rare Les Paul Standard, manufactured in Memphis 2001

renderit

Been off the forum for a while but I would like to answer your questions - as I said I've not sold the guitar nor have I tried to so 'big Al' can keep his accusations & twisted theories to himself. I took the official factory tour (by Gibson employees in the factory, not in the parking lot!), and during that tour we were told the history of that factory and how they'd had a very short production period of Les Pauls and then how it very quick switched to only hollow body production. The guitar was on show in a floor case (single case, on it's own) and they pointed it out as being one of the few produced at Memphis. At the end of the tour, I asked if it could be sold and the tour guide went to get the manager to ask - I did get his business card but sadly lost it since. We chatted for quite a while and agreed a price - I was introduced to the guys on the floor that had built the guitar, paid for it by Amex (in the factory store, on the store till). I returned 2 days later to collect the guitar once it'd been fully prepared and packaged ready for me to take back to the UK. I had two friends with me the whole time who can corroborate this story and will have the Amex bill too. Hope this answers all your questions, thanks

Welcome back and please stay. Big Al will become your friend in no time, trust me on this.

Thank you for your response. That makes everything seem to be in order. I suppose that the term "handbuilt" is in question here. Everything is built by moving it about by hand. By most craftsman's standards Gibson guitars are not truly "handbuilt". But try building one without the use of hands! Or mad skills.

I am guessing they may have built a few without some of the templates that were at the other factory hence it being more handbuilt than a Nashville.

I think that (in the long run) you may have something unique and wonderful there because of this.

But:

The word on the street is "the longer the story the more suspicious".

If it is not documented the more suspicious.

What you may have there is nearly impossible to prove without a letter from Gibson.

If I were you I would try to obtain that. They are surprisingly easy to ask!

Also, I understand Mr. Al's comments and though his delivery is akin to Thor smashing eggs with his hammer, he is right.

MANY people hope what they bought is the Sword in the Stone.

They come here to with the hope of proving it.

More often it is an old wrought iron fencepost...

deytookerjaabs

Wow, I didn't expect such vitriol and anger when I joined this forum! I have photos of me in the factory and collecting the guitar, I have all original paperwork (including quality check papers) and the receipt. I bought this personally in Memphis, my father was with me (now dead but a professional jazz drummer - I was touring bars and clubs in Memphis for his birthday). New poster, yes - I was searching the internet to find more. Incredible people can be so negative and scathing.

IMO, posting THOSE photos is more important than posting photos of the guitar by itself. Please do!

AA00475Bassman

IMO very few guitars can be classified as rare the matter of being rare is you own one & your neighbor does not .

As to hand built this is a fact of most guitar manufactures, until they start using talented help who can use their feet guitars will be hand built !!

cocacolaman

Hello I was interested in this cause I also have a Classic made in Memphis. It's a 2001 and I have a 2000 Made in Nashville. I called Gibson and was told they made various LP models in Memphis that year, mostly Studios but some others like the Classic.
Now comparing the two I will say that they are a little different, mainly in the neck and frets. The Memphis made one has thinner frets and slightly thinner neck in general. I originally called Gibson because I thought it might have been factory refretted and or something but was told it was made in Memphis. As far as everything else the OP stated I dont' know. But I do know that some Les Pauls and specificly Classics were made in the Memphis Plant in 2001 and they do indeed differ slightly from the Nashville Made Models.

Monroe

The guitar was on show in a floor case (single case, on it's own) and they pointed it out as being one of the few produced at Memphis. At the end of the tour, I asked if it could be sold and the tour guide went to get the manager to ask

I spoke with the factory manager when I bought it as it was on display...

I bought it and organised to go back 3 days later when they'd lacquered and refinished it.

I bought this personally in Memphis, my father was with me (now dead...)

I had two friends with me the whole time who can corroborate this story.

So was it in a display case when you arrived for the tour, or did they build it for you? You sorta have been saying both...

jaymac

Hi. This is a old thread but I though I'd finish the story. I bought the guitar from Ebay and it came with the nonsense story I read here. I checked with Gibson (as anyone legit would). It's not rare, it wasn't made in Memphis but it is a 2001 Les Paul Classic made in Nashville in 2001.

"Hi Joe,
The serial number and pictures refer to a guitar Gibson LP Classic in Cinnamon finish, nickel hardware, made in 2001 in Nashville US.

Best regards,
Marcelo
Customer Service
Gibson Brands, Inc."

I got it for a fair price, not inflated! Now that it is fettled it looks good, plays well and sounds great. My only problem now is how to get rid of the signatures without ruining the finish (probably not possible).

Scott L

Hi. This is a old thread but I though I'd finish the story. I bought the guitar from Ebay and it came with the nonsense story I read here. I checked with Gibson (as anyone legit would). It's not rare, it wasn't made in Memphis but it is a 2001 Les Paul Classic made in Nashville in 2001.

"Hi Joe,
The serial number and pictures refer to a guitar Gibson LP Classic in Cinnamon finish, nickel hardware, made in 2001 in Nashville US.....

Looks nothing like Cinnamon to me....

From the OP:
attachment.php

2000 Cinnamon Classic
jgderzz6rbzxyzv83kyb.jpg

J T

Gibson made LE's in Memphis. But anyway, it seems this entire discussion is about a Gibson USA guitar and should be over in that pub.:)

Big Al

I'm mostly curious about the two dudes who "handmade" the guitar and told this guy the woeful tale, [pump on their part], then signing and selling, [dump], to some Gibson fan on a tour of the Memphis factory.

I wonder about the ethics of the sale. Was it sold by Gibson to a person as a factory direct sale with proper paperwork and warranty? Or was the seller one or both signees? Has the op at least contacted Gibson Customer Service to get a proper idea of what he has?

I doubt the guitar is a rare, limited edition or handmade in anyway other than anyother production Classic, still it is a nice example of a Classic model Les Paul, a popular model with its thin neck and hot humbuckers. The ever popular lager beer yellow finish helps, I think. However, unless you truly believe their story and the whole deal was really an extraordinary experience that has strong personal attachment for you, those permanent signatures hurt the value of the guitar for resale.

If it was sold as new with warranty for a fair price, cool. I hope it wasn't more than the GC price back then. Classics were remarkably less $$ than Standards back then and a smart buy.

GibsonGuy

Gibson Memphis did not build any Les Pauls by hand. When the plant 1st opened, the Gibson USA plant in Nashville sent Les Paul Classic "kits" to Memphis so that the team there could be trained on building guitars. The kits were completed "whitewood" (raw/unfinished) bodies and necks. The Memphis team did the neck fit, finishing, and final assembly on these guitars. These were regular Les Paul Classics that were just built between the 2 plants. Hope this helps.

djcmusician

Gibson Memphis did not build any Les Pauls by hand. When the plant 1st opened, the Gibson USA plant in Nashville sent Les Paul Classic "kits" to Memphis so that the team there could be trained on building guitars. The kits were completed "whitewood" (raw/unfinished) bodies and necks. The Memphis team did the neck fit, finishing, and final assembly on these guitars. These were regular Les Paul Classics that were just built between the 2 plants. Hope this helps.
This is most likely the correct answer. Necks, bodies and hardware sent to Memphis and assembled and finished there.