• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Fretwire on 1997 R7?

sonvolt

Hello everyone. I have a 1997 R7 - the year of the infamous pick guard gap - and it's my absolute "run back into a burning house" guitar. Nice, fat neck with gently rolled fingerboard edges, great sound, etc. (Years ago, I made a new pick guard to eliminate the '97 gap.) For 21 years now, it's been the guitar against which all other guitars are judged/compared for me.

My question is, does anyone know the exact fretwire used on this model? I'm trying to recreate the setup on another instrument and need to know the fret size/number. I know they're often referred to as "medium jumbo" but a catalog number of even just height measurement would be more useful to me.

Thanks for any help you can give.

Regards,
DeWayne

Attachments

• IMG_0086.jpg
    IMG_0086.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 20

jbzoso2002

I dont know about the 97 year, but for many years
Gibson reissue Les Pauls used jescar 45/100 fret wire.

Jimmy

Black58

Hello everyone. I have a 1997 R7 - the year of the infamous pick guard gap - and it's my absolute "run back into a burning house" guitar. Nice, fat neck with gently rolled fingerboard edges, great sound, etc. (Years ago, I made a new pick guard to eliminate the '97 gap.) For 21 years now, it's been the guitar against which all other guitars are judged/compared for me.

My question is, does anyone know the exact fretwire used on this model? I'm trying to recreate the setup on another instrument and need to know the fret size/number. I know they're often referred to as "medium jumbo" but a catalog number of even just height measurement would be more useful to me.

Thanks for any help you can give.

Regards,
DeWayne

Howdy! I have a 1997 R8, all black, that I bought new. I'm VERY curious about something. Do you have a good, full-frontal pic of the body of that guitar?

Big Al

https://www.lespaulforum.com/forum/...ce-Check-2000-era-1959-R9&highlight=fret+size

This should help you.

Whatever you remember from that thread, realize those frets aren't dunlop 6100s or equivalents.

Yup, my bad. I was going by my 2000 R9 which has factory 6100 frets. I found out that guitar was custom built by Mike MaGuire as a fsr for Yamono and it was mistakenly sent to the HOG instead. My mistake was assuming they all were like mine, DOH!! I was completely wrong.