• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

This looks like a reissue to me??

reswot

Any comments as to the extra "groove" next to the chew mark?

26ovEvJh.jpg

Doesn't seem to appear in any of the shots here.

https://www.lespaulforum.com/forum/showthread.php?157670-Need-help-need-59-control-cavity-shots

I can't speak, at all, to whether the guitar in question is vintage or a copy, but I can say that I got a similar "extra groove" on a guitar that I was routing last week. I figured it meant I made the second template a bit off, or positioned it incorrectly...

Vince Q

I'm the guy who posted that guitar. A friend of mine picked up that guitar from an estate, along with a '52 GT, a '63 Firebird VII, a 1950 ES-175, '66 Jazz Bass and a few others. The fellow who owned them bought them new or within a year or two of them being made.

I've know the seller almost 45 years. These guitars are the genuine article and neither the '59 nor the others saw much daylight.

ETA: This guitar (as well as the others) is located in Fraser, Mich. If you're near there, let me know and I'll arrange a viewing for you. The guitar is locked in a safe and shown by appointment only ... and bring your "expert" with you to verify authenticity. ;)

Last edited:

jalevinemd

I'm the guy who posted that guitar. A friend of mine picked up that guitar from an estate, along with a '52 GT, a '63 Firebird VII, a 1950 ES-175, '66 Jazz Bass and a few others. The fellow who owned them bought them new or within a year or two of them being made.

I've know the seller almost 45 years. These guitars are the genuine article and neither the '59 nor the others saw much daylight.

In this day and age is anyone shelling out 6 figures for a guitar that doesn't have a letter of authentication from an accepted expert in there field? And if that's the case, why don't such letters accompany the guitar in question at the time it is posted for sale? Seems like that would avoid so much trouble. Not that threads like this aren't as informative as they are entertaining. :peace2

Tom Wittrock

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner
In this day and age is anyone shelling out 6 figures for a guitar that doesn't have a letter of authentication from an accepted expert in there field?

Yes, it happens often enough.
Besides, who is an "accepted expert" these days? :hmm

Tom Wittrock

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner
Go view the guitar. I bet Gil is wrong.

I would love to go view it, but I don't have the time for something that would be merely fun for me [and a waste of yours or their time].
And as I said, I would love to see evidence that proves him wrong. He isn't infallible and neither is anybody else.
I hope it is real, as it would be another great Burst in this world. :salude

Big Al

I trust that Gil is right. :salude

If anyone [including the owner and/or seller] can prove him wrong I'd sure like to see the evidence. :wah

I would need the gilster to provide more proof, any proof, beyond a sentence. It appears more right than wrong to me but the cavity is odd. Tom, you are so on point about pictures. If the estate claims original ownership, then it is reasonable to expect original receipt and period photos with original owner at least.

latestarter

I would need the gilster to provide more proof, any proof, beyond a sentence. It appears more right than wrong to me but the cavity is odd. Tom, you are so on point about pictures. If the estate claims original ownership, then it is reasonable to expect original receipt and period photos with original owner at least.
Indeed - provenance is critical.

scovell001

Agree with Big Al & reiterate my previous - there does ‘appear’ to be more right than wrong - the OP asked if it was a reissue which it clearly isn’t - however, my question to the floor was :- wasn’t there an awful lot of fakery going on in the 80s, some of which made it to BOTB, which leads me onto the era of that white case that it’s in. Could that provide an indication of the year of this thing?

DonRowe

Agree with Big Al & reiterate my previous - there does ‘appear’ to be more right than wrong - the OP asked if it was a reissue which it clearly isn’t - however, my question to the floor was :- wasn’t there an awful lot of fakery going on in the 80s, some of which made it to BOTB, which leads me onto the era of that white case that it’s in. Could that provide an indication of the year of this thing?
I think that case is a Gator Journeyman case . You can buy them now . Let me see if I can get a link. My buddy has one for a Epi 335 copy.
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/de...pe=e&msclkid=30326ac3f0ee13cb9e39319702627e55

JJ Blair

I'm not aware of fakes in BOTB. My understanding is that there's a refin or two. Do you know which guitars are fakes?

Big Al

Widow's Peak, anyone ?

Oh wonder from down under, I thought I could make out a peak ridge under the braided wires but better pictures as Tom said would be so helpful. The cavity is odd, but if a tool needed replacing or the router was down, Gibson workers have been known to whip out the hand tools and finish the job. Questions need to be answered about this cavity for sure, but I am not knowledgable enough to just say, it's a fake based on what I see.