• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Does anyone know what pick up this is?

jtwoods4

Recently I purchased a 1994 historic R7 Goldtop. the original bridge pickup had been removed and it came in the case. It was replaced with this pickup. does anybody know what pickup this is it says Gibson USA on it and written in pink to the left is a 13.

IMG_20180711_203549802-1024x768.jpg

Zentar

Measuring DC resistance will tell you if it is a 57 Classic

Gibson Burstbucker Pro (sim: BB1,Alnico5, potted) 7.4 KO
Gibson Burstbucker Pro (sim: BB2, Alnico5, potted) 8.0 KO
Gibson Burstbucker 1 (Alnico2) 7.5 KO
Gibson Burstbucker 2 (Alnico2) 8.0 - 8.4 KO
Gibson Burstbucker 3 (Alnico2) 8.2 - 8.8 KO
Gibson '57 Classic (Alnico2) 7.44 - 8.5 KO
Gibson '57 ClassicPlus (Alnico2) 9.0 - 13.8KO(the 9.0 appears to be a screw-up or faulty PU)

Last edited:

jtwoods4

Gibson '57 ClassicPlus (Alnico2) 9.0 - 13.8KO(the 9.0 appears to be a screw-up or faulty PU)

I know it's not a 57 classic because the guitar is a 94 Goldtop R7 historic and it originally came with the 57 classic. The original pickup is actually in the case it was replaced with this pickup. The 57 Classics has the PAF sticker on the back.

LeonC

Looks like the pickups in my 2008 Les Paul Classic. Only diffs are -- the ones in the Classic didn't have covers and they used straight headed mounting screw rather than Phillips. What's the resistance reading on your pickup?

Big Al

It would not be ANY of those as it has the USA Base with the GIBSON USA stamped logo and the 12 pole holes.

Zentar

It would not be ANY of those as it has the USA Base with the GIBSON USA stamped logo and the 12 pole holes.

Big Al I'd be happy to paste him the entire Gibson list but ne won't measure the windings

J.D.

Without resistance measurement, only thing certain (if not modified) is it is a Gibson USA pickup with "T" spacing. It is not one of the PAF reissues.

Tom Wittrock

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner
Recently I purchased a 1994 historic R7 Goldtop. the original bridge pickup had been removed and it came in the case. It was replaced with this pickup. does anybody know what pickup this is it says Gibson USA on it and written in pink to the left is a 13.

View attachment 7940

Resistance reading? :hmm

Big Al

Big Al I'd be happy to paste him the entire Gibson list but ne won't measure the windings

Yeah, and how flipping' confusing is it trying to figure out a pickup from one small ass picture??? Your list is correct and the info helpful for what would have been the stock pickup, but for me I need to see other features to have an idea as there is some overlap in resistance readings. Of course some pickups can be more easily identified by such readings, but I needs some more info!!!

If you can see the bobbins and the color of the wire in the square hole, that can help, the type of base, obviously, magnet sometimes, but I do not expect the op to dismantle his pickup. But, in these posts the OPs would be better served if they took detailed pictures of as much of the pickup as possible, AND provide some addition facts, like hook up a simple meter, (which every guitarist should have), and measure the damn resistance!

Before I took it out I'd have played it a bunch, enough to form an honest impression of it's sound and decide if I like it, or if I'm getting rid of it as quick as I can. I imagine the op wanted a more correct pickup for his R7, (I would), and WTF!!!!!! WHERE ARE THE PICS OF THE R7???? I'd like to see it, I love them gold babies!!!

chasenblues

A02NZzFh.jpg

Big Al

That picture only shows what it isn't not what it is.