• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

NGD: '78 LP Special DC Walnut

stilwel

P90's come in two types, Soap Bars (screws mount through the pickup) and Dog Ear (base plate with ears for the mounting screws). They BOTH are "real" P90's.
Al

Yeah, I know...I should have said Soap Bars mount in the middle.
These new Dimarzios mount like mini-hums on the outside edge, but not as far out as dog-ears...which I also have on my Dickinson ES-335.

stilwel

The Dimarzio's were a touch hotter than I wanted so I kept looking for another Soapbar sized hum-cancelling option.

I saw a Rig Rundown for Ben Harper a while back where they showed his CS LP Special and it had what appeared to be soapbar size humbuckers with a single offset row of pole pieces. Took me a while to find them, but turns out they are Custom Shop Duncans called Humbucker under Soapbar. If you call and talk to them they offer loads of options for which humbucker is under the cover.

http://customshop.seymourduncan.com/humbucker-under-p90-soapbar/

These are '59s and they sound killer. Very pleased with the sound and look.

242yex3.jpg

iw5i04.jpg

While I had it apart I took a peek under the pickguard to see if it was faded cherry. Nope. Just a walnut stain.
2rnc7dc.jpg

RicOkc

Although they're not like the originals, those are great guitars!

I have a 2010 Special (TV Yellow) w/2-P 90's and it really nails those early Stones sounds. I have 3 different Les Paul models and this would be the one I'd never part with.

Brian Krashpad

That looks great, congrats! Glad you found pickups you like for it.

I'm a big fan of Specials.

36279630156_32e0c230b5_z.jpg