• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Inherited early 57' goldtop (refinished to sunburst) Advice on how much its worth

El Gringo

Not good for them...good for GuitarGuy!:hee

I was trying to be polite as the individual felt my estimate was lowball . I am not to keen on butchered up pieces of art and thus base my value on that . I was the kid another lifetime ago that was in Lark Street Music with the owner Bernard Levine aka Buzzy (one of the finest humans I ever met in my life )who encouraged me to play one of his Vintage Bursts in his shop and I did not feel that was right as I did not have the cash to be able to afford one of those masterpieces .I have a very strong sense of ethics and I learned a long time ago from the mom and pop shop in my youth that you don't butcher up a Les Paul to "make it better" you just find another one that has the features and specs that you like and the guy was right !

Guitarguy1987

I was trying to be polite as the individual felt my estimate was lowball . I am not to keen on butchered up pieces of art and thus base my value on that . I was the kid another lifetime ago that was in Lark Street Music with the owner Bernard Levine aka Buzzy (one of the finest humans I ever met in my life )who encouraged me to play one of his Vintage Bursts in his shop and I did not feel that was right as I did not have the cash to be able to afford one of those masterpieces .I have a very strong sense of ethics and I learned a long time ago from the mom and pop shop in my youth that you don't butcher up a Les Paul to "make it better" you just find another one that has the features and specs that you like and the guy was right !

Nah I respected your offer just like the rest, I just came here for opinions which I got and I’m grateful for. I quoted your post all in good fun. I actually also know buzz, met him about 2 weeks even though I’d been to Lark when I was younger. I almost sold him this guitar. But ended up deciding there was too much going on with it and drastically lowered his offer. He’s a really cool dude lol that store is awesome

Black58

Nah I respected your offer just like the rest, I just came here for opinions which I got and I’m grateful for. I quoted your post all in good fun. I actually also know buzz, met him about 2 weeks even though I’d been to Lark when I was younger. I almost sold him this guitar. But ended up deciding there was too much going on with it and drastically lowered his offer. He’s a really cool dude lol that store is awesome

:rofl

jimmi

Not good for them...good for GuitarGuy!:hee
I don’t know about that. Conversions are a weird beast in the vintage market.

This is was an original ABR guitar with figured top and no real damage to the original wood and vintage electronics so mid teens is not outrageous and probably fair.

Tom Wittrock

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner
This is was an original ABR guitar with figured top and no real damage to the original wood and vintage electronics so mid teens is not outrageous and probably fair.

The wood has obviously been "damaged" to make room for the humbuckers from the smaller P-90 rout.

And can you or anyone else please post a photo showing this "figured" top? I haven't seen one yet. :hmm

jimmi

The wood has obviously been "damaged" to make room for the humbuckers from the smaller P-90 rout.

And can you or anyone else please post a photo showing this "figured" top? I haven't seen one yet. :hmm
I looked at a bunch of these..messy routes dont seem to be a big issue if covered by by the rings and pickups.

Tom Wittrock

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner
I looked at a bunch of these..messy routes dont seem to be a big issue if covered by by the rings and pickups.

Perhaps, but it is not undamaged. It would be worth more if it was undamaged. :ganz