• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Inherited early 57' goldtop (refinished to sunburst) Advice on how much its worth

guitplayer

Maybe so... you guys are way better at this than me.:)
This is what I saw.

J.D.

Binding? We don't need no stinkin binding. :wah

Looks like collateral routing.

CDaughtry

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner and Moderator
So let's hear what everyone thinks is its value. I fear I was too generous in my initial appraisal.:jim

T.Allen

Seeing the rest of the photos now, I think you may have been on the high side. I still am not sure what it is or what it was, but best case would be $8-10K to me. That is assuming a 50's Gibson.

A man and his router...

J.D.

It does have a figured top. Most likely the new owner would have the routes and binding repaired followed by a proper refin. Assuming it is otherwise solid (but plastic and pickups are not '50s) a 5-figure sale as-is is a bit of a stretch, IMHO.

Jumping@Shadows

I’ve had more of these kinds of boogered vintage Les Pauls than most, and imo it’s a 100% legit very early ‘57, with all ‘56 specs. Tenon is fine, and the end piece of binding was probably removed to make space for the humbucker ring, as the person doing the routing was not aware there should be a ~2mm gap between the neck end and humbucker route.
I think the neck has been heavily shaved however, as the heel is so small, and the disparity in finish colour between the body/neck, and the bridge is a ‘rocker’ ABR from an early SG- all issues I could deal with along with with obvious refin and crude humbucker conversion.
I personally love guitars like this, and it would slot seamlessly into current projects but the price will outrun what I could pay.

Guitarguy1987

I’ve had more of these kinds of boogered vintage Les Pauls than most, and imo it’s a 100% legit very early ‘57, with all ‘56 specs. Tenon is fine, and the end piece of binding was probably removed to make space for the humbucker ring, as the person doing the routing was not aware there should be a ~2mm gap between the neck end and humbucker route.
I think the neck has been heavily shaved however, as the heel is so small, and the disparity in finish colour between the body/neck, and the bridge is a ‘rocker’ ABR from an early SG- all issues I could deal with along with with obvious refin and crude humbucker conversion.
I personally love guitars like this, and it would slot seamlessly into current projects but the price will outrun what I could pay.

I think you’re pretty much spot on based on what I’ve gathered over the past few months. Do you own any 57’s yourself?

zombiwoof

Looks like a rocker bridge but doesn't look like the rounded top wheels that came with those, at least from the limited pics I saw. Did those rocker ABR's really work as designed with a vibrato TP?. I notice they've never resurrected them over the years.
Al