• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Three Pickups: A Humbucker and Two P-90's

pablomago

I'm restoring a well made '90's Japanese guitar and decided on a bridge humbucker and two single coils. Then I got the idea of a 'bucker and two P-90's. Has anyone here done that? What was the result? What did you like or didn't like? What pickups would be a good match? I see most P-90 sets are for neck and bridge. Would a neck or bridge pickup work best in the middle? I'm at the brain storming stage at this point. I play Americana and Jam-Band kinds of things if that's a factor. Smooth overdrive and a little twang in the clean tones.

Mr. Papa

This sounds like it could work for you, I would recommend low wind P-90s though, and a HB that balances it out to whatever you want from a bridge HB, but I'm guessing it will have to be just a little hotter than vintage to sound right with P-90s.