• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

2014 LP Historic R9 vs 2016 LP Standard Historic R9 (and other R9's)

Uncle

Hello brothers -

got the LP historic bug recently and trying to navigate the sea's and figure out things. so please bear with me if i'm asking question that have been answered...i dug into the worm hole and couldnt find the answer.

soo.....how are the 2016 historic standards r9's as compared to the 2014 historic r9's. i know there was big hoopla about the serial number, but other than that it seems to be same specs. i know also it's recommended to play it but most of the one's im looking at are via reverb and impossible to play before acquisition.

are the 2016 not as coveted? from what i've read 2013+ are all great guitars....should i consider any other year (avoid 2012) ?

anything else to consider?

the year by year seems to be caught up to 2007 with some intermittent stuff after

hopefully as i build my stash i can contribute to the forum :)

happy 4th

Tim Plains

Same specs aside from the serial number. Some people don't want 2016s because of the R. AVHs.

Avoiding years. Do historically accurate specs and rosewood species matter to you?

AA00475Bassman

First welcome to the forum , I would focus on finding one you really get on with IMO all years produced great guitars . If your looking for certain specs this will help narrow down the field .

renderit

I was trying to figure out what the heck the R was above...

Oh! They stuck an R in the serial number...

Coveted? I have not heard of any problems there.
Some have complained about plastic colors from various years.
Some lacquer colors being too tinted.
Some: not tinted enough.
Screw hole placement comes up.
Size of frets comes up.
Hang around long enough and you will hear it all.

I remember when the 16's came out. A lot of people were bitching about the serial numbers. THAT IS THE ONLY REASON I BROUGHT IT UP. Does it bother me?

36277629336_970f153703_k.jpg

Not a bit.

But some are remiss if not covering that when the question is asked.
There is a thread on the changes at the very top of this forum. The answers are all there.

My only point about 2013's on is this: I think their CONSISTENCY got much better i.e. one is more likely to pick up a 2013+ and have it sound good than previous years. Also more items are supposedly 'accurate'. THAT DOES NOT MEAN YOU WILL NOT FIND A PRE-2013 WHICH WILL BLOW THEM ALL AWAY. We are talking wood here. There are no absolutes other than the absolute _______ who will tell you different.

Last edited:

Uncle

thanks for the feedback so far, guys!

in terms of what im looking for, obv first and foremost, best quality and play-ability with as much original specs as possible. but playability and quality most important to me.

i will play it, but in home studio more or less..so will be kept in good condition in case i get GAS and need to sell, so secondarily i would want to know what year's are coveted and what's not

looking forward to hearing and learning all

thanks!

Bruce R

"Uncle" - are you planning on playing as many of these guitars as possible before you buy? If at all possible, please do this. In my younger days I would never buy a guitar, or amp, that I did not play, but it is not as easy as that these days. Back then I would basically just buy (what we call now) vintage guitars, and really only a Gibson or Fender. There was no such thing as a reissue, but the prices on the instruments I was buying were reasonably affordable. I couldn't afford a new guitar, so I'd just drive down to Sol Betnun's or Normans and buy a used Les Paul! Different days back then! Nowadays, I just can't go out and buy a used '68 LP Custom or Goldtop for $500, or a '57 Junior for $350!

If you plan on buying one online I can understand where you are coming from. Here's my story:

11 years ago, when I went to buy a Les Paul "Standard" (as they used to be known as in my time) in order to retire my '69 Custom, I did my research and settled on a Custom Shop R7 or R8. Only a used one fell within my budget range, so I decided to look online. By this time there were quite a few shops selling them online and most of these guys really knew their stuff. I found the one I was looking for at Mark's Loft (a Forum sponsor) and he really did me right - this guy knew what he was talking about. After a few emails I sent the check and the R8 we settled on was mine! It was exactly as described and I love it to this day. I look forward to buy from Mark again.

My point is that now there are many places to buy a Historic online, and chances are that if you choose one of the many fine shops that advertise on or sponsor this forum you will be pleased. Best of luck!

El Gringo

"Uncle" - are you planning on playing as many of these guitars as possible before you buy? If at all possible, please do this. In my younger days I would never buy a guitar, or amp, that I did not play, but it is not as easy as that these days. Back then I would basically just buy (what we call now) vintage guitars, and really only a Gibson or Fender. There was no such thing as a reissue, but the prices on the instruments I was buying were reasonably affordable. I couldn't afford a new guitar, so I'd just drive down to Sol Betnun's or Normans and buy a used Les Paul! Different days back then! Nowadays, I just can't go out and buy a used '68 LP Custom or Goldtop for $500, or a '57 Junior for $350!

If you plan on buying one online I can understand where you are coming from. Here's my story:

11 years ago, when I went to buy a Les Paul "Standard" (as they used to be known as in my time) in order to retire my '69 Custom, I did my research and settled on a Custom Shop R7 or R8. Only a used one fell within my budget range, so I decided to look online. By this time there were quite a few shops selling them online and most of these guys really knew their stuff. I found the one I was looking for at Mark's Loft (a Forum sponsor) and he really did me right - this guy knew what he was talking about. After a few emails I sent the check and the R8 we settled on was mine! It was exactly as described and I love it to this day. I look forward to buy from Mark again.

My point is that now there are many places to buy a Historic online, and chances are that if you choose one of the many fine shops that advertise on or sponsor this forum you will be pleased. Best of luck!

+1 , on Marks Guitar Loft, Mark is very Knowledgeable and is an encyclopedia of knowledge and information and one straight shooter . Mark always has a great selection of our favorite Les Paul's .