The Fender Forum
NEW! LPF Facebook Page
LilyPix
Merchandise & Donations
NEW! Burst Serial Log Home Page
LPF Homesite
Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. #1
    Les Paul Forum Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Norway
    Posts
    190

    PAFs on a 1964 ES-175?

    A few months ago I bought a loooovely 64 ES-175. My luthier finished a refret on it yesterday, and I asked him to check the pickups as I was curious. Turns out it has PAFs, which I thought were replaced by Pat Nos around 1962. Serial clearly indicates a 1964 guitar. Pot dates were not checked unfortunately, but all wirings and solderings are original and untouched. Has anyone heard of a 1964 guitar with PAFs?

  2. #2
    Les Paul Forum Member style0's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    St. Louis MO
    Posts
    377

    Re: PAFs on a 1964 ES-175?

    Quote Originally Posted by Phatfrank View Post
    A few months ago I bought a loooovely 64 ES-175. My luthier finished a refret on it yesterday, and I asked him to check the pickups as I was curious. Turns out it has PAFs, which I thought were replaced by Pat Nos around 1962. Serial clearly indicates a 1964 guitar. Pot dates were not checked unfortunately, but all wirings and solderings are original and untouched. Has anyone heard of a 1964 guitar with PAFs?
    Steve Howes infamous 64 175 had one PAF and one Pat # pickup.
    Old Wood Is Good!

  3. #3
    Les Paul Forum Member TM1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    on the middle & bridge pickup of my L.P. Custom
    Posts
    7,545

    Re: PAFs on a 1964 ES-175?

    Not uncommon during that era. All depends on what's in the bin. When the women got done with building them, they would wrap them in some fuzzy paper to protect them. The paper was about 1/4" thick, brown and was used to protect the outside cover from getting scratched.
    So when the final assembler would pull one out of the bin they never knew what it was. They probably didn't care either as it was whatever was there to finish the guitar.

  4. #4
    Les Paul Forum Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Norway
    Posts
    190

    Re: PAFs on a 1964 ES-175?

    Quote Originally Posted by TM1 View Post
    Not uncommon during that era. All depends on what's in the bin. When the women got done with building them, they would wrap them in some fuzzy paper to protect them. The paper was about 1/4" thick, brown and was used to protect the outside cover from getting scratched.
    So when the final assembler would pull one out of the bin they never knew what it was. They probably didn't care either as it was whatever was there to finish the guitar.
    Pretty much what I thought - thanks for the insight. Funny how such a trivial event can have a big impact on value 65 odd years later

  5. #5

    Re: PAFs on a 1964 ES-175?




  6. #6
    Les Paul Forum Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Norway
    Posts
    190

    Re: PAFs on a 1964 ES-175?

    Quote Originally Posted by mdubya View Post


    Sorry, Im on holiday with just my iphone available, so posting photos is a bit of a hassle. But I did:
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]

    and one with her sister:
    [IMG][/IMG]

  7. #7
    Les Paul Forum Member fakejake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    lost in the changes
    Posts
    829

    Re: PAFs on a 1964 ES-175?

    Ouch! Seems her sister had a little accident...

  8. #8
    Les Paul Forum Member GuitarMikey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Charlotte, North Carolina
    Posts
    769

    Re: PAFs on a 1964 ES-175?

    I've been wanting a 175 for a while now. Congrats!
    GuitarMikey

  9. #9
    Les Paul Forum Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Norway
    Posts
    190

    Re: PAFs on a 1964 ES-175?

    Quote Originally Posted by fakejake View Post
    Ouch! Seems her sister had a little accident...
    Its a properly fixed and solid old damage. I like a bit of battle scars

  10. #10
    Les Paul Forum Member 1jamman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    BRW Country, Bahia
    Posts
    596

    Re: PAFs on a 1964 ES-175?

    Not trying to stir up anything and I'm no expert . But , I question those solder joints .... Maybe it the lighting angle ?

  11. #11

    Re: PAFs on a 1964 ES-175?

    Quote Originally Posted by Phatfrank View Post
    Sorry, Im on holiday with just my iphone available, so posting photos is a bit of a hassle. But I did:
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]

    and one with her sister:
    [IMG][/IMG]

    Thank you for sharing and thank you for going to the trouble!

    Beautiful.

  12. #12
    Les Paul Forum Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Norway
    Posts
    190

    Re: PAFs on a 1964 ES-175?

    Quote Originally Posted by 1jamman View Post
    Not trying to stir up anything and I'm no expert . But , I question those solder joints .... Maybe it the lighting angle ?
    Picture was taken by my luthier, who says that everything is 100% original and untouched. Hes quite capable, so I have no doubts

  13. #13
    Les Paul Forum Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Norway
    Posts
    190

    Re: PAFs on a 1964 ES-175?

    Turns out all the original hangtags are in an old envelope marked 1962 Gibson es-175. Serial is 155xxx which AFAIK indicates a 1964 model, but are the serials exact? Whats the best way to make sure? Checking pot dates seems like a bit of a hassle.

  14. #14
    Les Paul Forum Member DrRobert's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    6,014

    Re: PAFs on a 1964 ES-175?

    My recently purchased 62 is PAFs, FWIW.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Scroll Down And Click On All Of Our Sponsors' Logos For Their Websites!






i