• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Les Paul Custom lacquer question

Highway Star

Hi guys, would appriciate your opinion on this one. Just wonder if it is common that the lacquer on 50's LPC guitars crackle in this direction? Most of the ones I've seen crackle the other way i.e. horizontally.

Thanks,

Attachments

• IMG_6737.jpg
    IMG_6737.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 109
  • IMG_6738.jpg
    IMG_6738.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 116

zhivago

While they usually crack the other direction, I have seen vintage LPs check that direction too. :jim

In fact, is it Charlie’s latest Goldtop acquisition that checked the same way? I thin’ I saw a guitar on the forum in the past couple of weeks that was like that.

zhivago

DSC_6361-XL.jpg

corpse

What is really impossible to fake is that patina. Beer, sweat and shirtsleeves. It's the dead give-away.
Oh- and the bouquet.

renderit

What is really impossible to fake is that patina. Beer, sweat and shirtsleeves. It's the dead give-away.
Oh- and the bouquet.

I don't know anything aboot that bowkwet stuff, but they smell great! Kinda a cigarette smokers 50 year old dirty ashtray meets the cat lady's basement! Mmmm MMMM!

Highway Star

While they usually crack the other direction, I have seen vintage LPs check that direction too. :jim

In fact, is it Charlie’s latest Goldtop acquisition that checked the same way? I thin’ I saw a guitar on the forum in the past couple of weeks that was like that.

Thanks for your comment. Interesting, do you have any pic of a custom with horizontal cracks in your huge collection of pics :dude:. I tried to google but I didn't find any.

sws1

Thanks for your comment. Interesting, do you have any pic of a custom with horizontal cracks in your huge collection of pics :dude:. I tried to google but I didn't find any.

Rumble Seat has one for sale now that has cracks in both directions. You can see the pics on reverb.

zhivago

I'll have to have a look through my archives, but it's hundreds of photos...

so it's down to time... :(

daglespaul

I have a 54 goldtop that has the checking in both directions! Very cool mojo!
My old 55 special also had the horizontal checking. I'll try to find some pictures later

Highway Star

I'll have to have a look through my archives, but it's hundreds of photos...

so it's down to time... :(

I understand completely. No need to drown yourself in your photos. I just thought if you knew one right away :)