• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Mick Taylor's slow blues in the Ya-Ya's Midnight Rambler - tutorial

Mick's playing on one of the best live album's of all time, the Stones 'Get Yer Ya-Ya's Out', is truly fabulous. I've just done a tutorial for the slow section in Midnight Rambler. For Keith's part I just used regular tuning, although I believe Keith used open G with a capo at the seventh fret.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/B5GuR-8larA" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen=""></iframe>

Keefoman

One of the best live albums ever! Taylors slide solo on Love in Vain is amongst the best guitarplaying that has ever been recorded!

57gold

Great stuff!

FWIW, Keef used standard tuning with a capo at the 7th fret.

I struggled for years playing it w/out a capo, but it is a breeze with one. E, D and A forms at 7th.

Have played it with a singer who doesn't really play lead, so I have to pull the capo off to solo effectively...

The Stones at their best!!!

Last edited:

Swedgen

Mick's playing on one of the best live album's of all time, the Stones 'Get Yer Ya-Ya's Out', is truly fabulous. I've just done a tutorial for the slow section in Midnight Rambler. For Keith's part I just used regular tuning, although I believe Keith used open G with a capo at the seventh fret.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/B5GuR-8larA" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen=""></iframe>

Awesome stuff there. Great job.

Taylor does like those double note licks. He uses them when he starts the solo for "Sympathy for the Devil" - except in E of course.

EXPLRGAB

One of the best live albums ever! Taylors slide solo on Love in Vain is amongst the best guitarplaying that has ever been recorded!
I REALIZE THIS IS OLD...JUST JOINED THE FORUM..HAVE A CUSTOM SHOP FROM WILDWOOD IN MY NEAR FUTURE..I SAW MANY PLAYERS GROWING UP IN NYC...FILLMORE EAST, WOODSTOCK (I WAS THERE)..I SAW THE STONES AT MSG...MICK TAYLOR'S SOLO ON LOVE IN VAIN MADE TIME STAND STILL....TO THIS DAY...ONE OF THE BEST I EVER SAW.

Any Name You Wish

It was a sad day when Mick Taylor left the Stones. His timing is so fluid with hammer-ons an pull-offs seamlessly woven into his lead runs. That unique left hand vibrato with just a touch slower speed than typical. He did that in his slide playing too. Beautiful melodic lead playing. I always liked Ron Wood, but then he joined the Stones and was never heard from again:)

BTW - Keith is indeed using regular tuning with capo on 7th fret for Rambler. It takes a little practice to get the timing right. First chop is up then down (Da-Dump) and just carry that through the whole thing. That first up-chop is open E string, then down fretting with the index finger on 5th string. It is a blast to play it. A little cramped up there on the neck, but that right hand rhythm is the main thing. The "golden arm."