• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Warning: juicy tones

renderit

OK. So can anybody out there THAT HAS BOTH the Kemper and the AXE-FX tell me which they like better and why? I have considered one of these for years and am making space on my rack for one but I've never gotten off the pot. The last one he did is missing a lot of the chime that is in a Matchless BTW TME.

mdubya

The possibilities with the AXE-FX are nearly limitless. My AX8 blows me away almost daily.

Pellman73

OK. So can anybody out there THAT HAS BOTH the Kemper and the AXE-FX tell me which they like better and why? I have considered one of these for years and am making space on my rack for one but I've never gotten off the pot. The last one he did is missing a lot of the chime that is in a Matchless BTW TME.

Mr. Alien wearing the Renderit Skin Suit I know you are an imposter by this post

yea i"m not sure that sounded as good as a real matchless.

still its very cool I guess... but I'd need to get over, speaking of body snatchers-- the whole soulless body snatcher aspect of it I guess.

I just like to know my sound is going through tubes and wires and things and not zeros and ones I guess.

mistersnappy

Sounds pretty great. Very versatile it seems for people who need a wide range of tones easily gotten. The one thing that bugs me about some of the clips here, and elsewhere, is the tendency for the overdriven tones to sound compressed and "squished". It seems to be something that a lot of amps and player's ears want to hear, so its not Kemper's "fault". This phenomena is not my cup o' vodka.

renderit

Mr. Alien wearing the Renderit Skin Suit I know you are an imposter by this post

yea i"m not sure that sounded as good as a real matchless.

still its very cool I guess... but I'd need to get over, speaking of body snatchers-- the whole soulless body snatcher aspect of it I guess.

I just like to know my sound is going through tubes and wires and things and not zeros and ones I guess.

Alien? Me? Nope, I want one if for no other reason than to prove to myself that it is not as good. Didn't say I was going to use it a lot. The rack I am going to put it in will have my Torpedo in it as well. THAT I use A LOT. I MAY top mount my Revival drive in it as well and leave the remote switcher on the floor.

Pellman73

This video is almost enough for me to buy a Kemper Profiler alone! Man that sounds GOOOOOOD

I’m guessing what it does for the brown sound it will do for other things too?

thin sissy

The one thing that bugs me about some of the clips here, and elsewhere, is the tendency for the overdriven tones to sound compressed and "squished". It seems to be something that a lot of amps and player's ears want to hear, so its not Kemper's "fault". This phenomena is not my cup o' vodka.
Yeah I agree. Compression is almost like a modern guitarist disease IHMO. Don't get me wrong, some compression is great, like a pushed output transformer or a speaker on its limits, because that kicks in pretty late. But in my opinion, and I want to stress that this is only my personal preference, the dynamics of a great solo is lost when every note has the same volume. And I can't really appreciate a guitarist playing with that kind of compression no matter how good that person is. The playing never "takes off" because it's too uniform in volume.

BTW this post doesn't really have anything to do with the player in this thread. Just a friday night rant :##

renderit

Yeah I agree. Compression is almost like a modern guitarist disease IHMO. Don't get me wrong, some compression is great, like a pushed output transformer or a speaker on its limits, because that kicks in pretty late. But in my opinion, and I want to stress that this is only my personal preference, the dynamics of a great solo is lost when every note has the same volume. And I can't really appreciate a guitarist playing with that kind of compression no matter how good that person is. The playing never "takes off" because it's too uniform in volume.

BTW this post doesn't really have anything to do with the player in this thread. Just a friday night rant :##

As a guy who ALSO hates over-compressed stuff I would agree. As you mentioned the RIGHT compression is almost always good. The Origin Effects Cali's are THE prime example. EVERYTHING through it sounds better. Provided you have not 'dimed' everything the Origin Effects Slide Rig also falls into this category. If you dime a Slide Rig you can intentionally do what you mention. Backed off slightly and mixed with the Ratio knob though even those allow nuance and soft picking to flow through.

My view (which is probably wrong) is many guitarists get hooked on the sustain a compressor gives you and eventually figure out they lost nuance. Though many maybe never get there or never had it?...