• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Who knows Virgil Arlo?

deytookerjaabs

It was indeed fine until the OP started using the thread to promote his own personal vindictive agenda by spouting complete and utter nonsense completely unrelated to the OP merely because he found an audience to listen to his tripe...

Yeah, beyond the back/forths going on I think there's a good little mystery here. :hmm

You left lairs and pound sand Lol..

Hey, who's above pounding a little sand from time to time? Sand don't pound itself.

Cogswell

The Duke of Dumbassery
Apart from everything else, I think "who runs the company" & "where are the pickups made" are legitimate questions to be asking

chasenblues

Apart from everything else, I think "who runs the company"

I found him..

The-Unknown-Comic.jpg

:laugh2:

duaneflowers

Funny you say that... because you're doing exactly the same here.

Would you like to start talking about your beef with Jon Gundry? Or that Dave Stephens is a good friend of yours? Or both, perhaps?

You obviously have a bone to pick, so don't play the caped crusader, Duane. It's beneath you.

BTW, I guess you didn't see my PM cumplimenting you for the importance of your involvement in the making of the Mario Milan/Jame Finnerty book "The Gibson "P.A.F." Humbucking Pickup: From Myth to Reality", calling it "the glue that held everything together". Kudos! A job well deserving being proud of.

So, there you have it. Calling a spade a spade and giving credit where credit is due.

I have no beef with Jon and I haven't spoken to Dave in years... again, neither has anything to do with this thread and are just your misguided attempts to stir up shit now that you've found yourself a captive audience.

Thanks for the kind words in re the book... it was a pleasure to be involved in the project, but again, it has nothing to do with this thread.

I have no problem with you calling out Mr/Mrs/Ms Arlo his/her/it's complete lack of transparency, I do take issue with the bully tactics you employ and the continuous deluge of superfluous bullshit whenever someone disagrees with you. I called you on your accusation that Dave is running a Ponzi Scheme as you obviously have no idea what a Ponzi Scheme even is, as it has to do with defrauding investors and not selling pickups (no matter what the contractual basis may be). Conjuring up any statistics on jurisprudence will not make it any more so... and ignoring that fact and continuing to muddy the waters with non-relevant concerns merely for your own mental masturbation is where I am indeed calling a spade a spade.

Looking forward to whatever non-related, unimportant and non-relevant minutiae you offer up next... NOT!!!

HTH

El Gringo

I have been amused reading all 4 pages of this thread and I want to make my contribution in the form of a testimonial to the wonders of http://www.throbak.com/ for my money the best pickups out there ThroBak SLE-101 Plus . 5 days from the time of order and the tone is to die for .

P.Walker

I think skepticism (and skepticism only) is perhaps warranted under such circumstances, but the circumstances don't really do much to logically prove that this skepticism is in fact a Ponzi scheme. I mean, from skepticism to a Ponzi scheme accusation, in the strictest semantics of the word (which we should be referring to- since otherwise it dilutes the message and paints a false narrative), requires some pretty insurmountable evidence.

In short, calling a single-owner pickup business (whatever the ethos) to a legit full-blown Ponzi-scheme, is a huge leap and frankly just lazy semantics.

I don't think it's right, nor ethical, nor would it ever be considered a legit form of business (if the skepticism in fact turns out to be true), but Ponzi-schemers are an entirely different breed- kind of like money launderers. The Madoffs of the world don't dabble in menial affairs such as making pickups in-house. At least call it something else.

Last edited:

P.Walker

Could one classify/call what this person (and her company) did a Ponzi scheme..?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elizabeth_Holmes

Indictment by the justice department, SEC involved. Much closer to a ponzi scheme (though it must be said, not all ponzi schemes actually start out like this) in both the semantic and logistic sense, than what OP is accusing a pickup maker of doing. FWIW, the charge is wire fraud.

Big Al

Been playing my VA pickups in a les Pual all day.
ohhh the joy...that so many, will NEVER know.

Might never know if they buy them too. How do you slander a fictitious entity? Be like slandering Bilbo Baggins.

Glad you like the pickups. As I said they were as good as the $70 SDs they were compared too so they do function well. I just can't see paying the up charge for bullshit marketing and hype, but then some people need the story.:ganz

tom wu

Great reading!
Hadn't been here awhile, forgot how much fighting goes on..so thanks for all the posts. The sad part, at least for me, is that after 4 pages of reading, revisiting the meanings of ponzi schemes and pounding sand, among other interesting topics, Not one person, sadly and unfortunately, shed any light on who in the fuck VA is!!!!! That being the primary purpose of my visit to the thread. So, while I may walk away empty handed as far as VA true identity, I'm in line with the opinion that , unless Lover, or Abby herself wound them in the 50s-60s, they aren't worth the 1300-1600 people are asking on fleabay for VA (bless his soul, if it exists) The idea that any set of pickups made today is worth that kind of change may appeal to corksnifers who wouldn't tell a squier from a burst in a blind test, IMO. And that's a good thing cause, like many of you, I spend enough on guitars and other gear already lol. One example, from what I have read, is a lot of strat players agree that Eric Johnson pickups, made by Fender, sound just as good as anything or better made in recent history. :dude:

mrbeasty

Great reading!
:dude:

I am here for the same reason. Who is this “Legendary Winder” that no one has seen or met, and who goes by a fake name, yet makes some of the worst infomercials on the Web but the greatest pickups known to mankind ...
... and his pickup sets are now on eBay/Reverb for $1,500 ... WTF?
This story gets more insane as time passes-by, LOL

thin sissy

Ah, this is an old favourite of a thread I had forgotten, thanks for bringing it up!

I wouldn't mind some more manic ramblings from @chipss36, you still here?

mdubya

There are so many good pickup maker choices, I cannot imagine why anyone would choose a purposefully vague maker which demonstrates zero credibility or accountability.