• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Neck Crack on my Epiphone Les Paul Studio Custom Shop

AMcLeodIII

I've got a 2010 Epiphone Les Paul Studio Custom Shop model that I literally got from a local music store for free. It play/feels better than my 1977 Gibson Les Paul Standard (definitely lighter weight) I'm tickled to death at this acquisition with this one exception......

....there is this crack (or faux crack) on the heel of the neck.
It wasn't there when I got it. It happened two days after bringing it home and during that time , we had a power outtage that lasted almost 10 hours here in NC and the temperature outside was about 98 degrees. It was sitting on a guitar stand in my studio when I noticed. I was horrified. The crack felt deep enough to seem like it was through the wood but if you out weight on the neck as to flex it, there was no shift or movement. I took a very fine sanding pad that I have and buffed across the affected area until I could feel the crack seemingly leaving the surface and at that point, I thought to myself that it has to be the paint. Still puzzled as to what happened here though so I'm posting a pic so you can see the area and maybe someone here can help me figure out what happened. I'm one of those working class musicians/educators who is meticulous about taking care of my gear, no matter the value. My money is kind of "short" most of the time so I like my stuff to stay functional and last for a long time. Here's a link to the pics. Hoping in advance for some help

2018-06-30_00.20.04.jpg

35924518_2235748336451762_1428993266430246912_n.jpg

36176411_2235748313118431_7858070987940560896_n.jpg

jbzoso2002

Have a pro look at it.

I had an Epiphone 60's Tribute plus, when I got it there
was what I thought was a finish crack at the head stock.

Stayed in tune, played great, 2 years later it fell over and
the head stock broke off at the exact spot.

Jimmy

Zentar

Have a pro look at it.

I had an Epiphone 60's Tribute plus, when I got it there
was what I thought was a finish crack at the head stock.

Stayed in tune, played great, 2 years later it fell over and
the head stock broke off at the exact spot.

Jimmy

I think he has your same issue. He should ignore it for now because it is more cosmetic than structural.
At the moment it is not an issue worth fixing. The guitar is actually in good working condition now.

Strings Jr.

Yup.

That crack is terminal, especially on an Epi. Seen that pattern too many times.

Why do you think you got it for free?