• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

NPSGD Vintage (70s?) Lloyd Green Sho-Bud LDG model

Pellman73

what am I doing? I don't know. I have absolutely know idea how to play one of these things.... but I'm looking forward to learning! I've recently become obsessed with the sound of pedal steel. I think they are so cool. I saw the Daniel Lanois Rig Rundown and he plays these.... I've looked for probably a year or so and finally found one. They are not easy to come by! I think it needs a major overhaul but there's a dude an hour from me who I think is an expert at it... I hope he will fix her up--- .It is a beautiful instrument

Pellman73

theres some seriously freaky music theory genius stuff behind these contraptions

renderit

It's missin' a neck! You are gonna look SERIOUSLY weird holdin' that thang up!

What does she weigh?

Xpensive Wino

what am I doing? I don't know. I have absolutely know idea how to play one of these things.... but I'm looking forward to learning!

:laugh2: An old friend of mine from the Bay Area said playing pedal steel is like "double-clutching a 16-speed Mack while working out Chinese arithmetic on a greased abacus".

He told me he took a handful of Black Beauties and locked himself in a room until he could play the effin' thing. :hee

renderit

:laugh2: An old friend of mine from the Bay Area said playing pedal steel is like "double-clutching a 16-speed Mack while working out Chinese arithmetic on a greased abacus".

He told me he took a handful of Black Beauties and locked himself in a room until he could play the effin' thing. :hee
:rofl:rofl:rofl:rofl

Pellman73

I think that is probably accurate

my head is exploding so far. I strung it up last night. I played it a little. Both my cats are gone now.

now where do I get these black beauties? I would guess Adderall might be the modern equivalent? I think there might be some left over from one of my kids....

I read somewhere that was similar to Duane's training manual for slide except it was a bag of coke and a house by a lake-- can someone else confirm this one?

Xpensive Wino

I read somewhere that was similar to Duane's training manual for slide except it was a bag of coke and a house by a lake-- can someone else confirm this one?

My lips are sealed on that one, except to say you got the location wrong. :halo

deytookerjaabs

Hmmm, you're complicating this mess. I tell where I'd start:

Simple yet beautiful, learn the melody on each string one at a time, before wrapping your brain around the bouncing intervals involved in the tuning. Getting acquainted, piece by piece, slowly but surely, is an approach I wish I'd started with decades ago.

Pellman73

Hmmm, you're complicating this mess. I tell where I'd start:

Simple yet beautiful, learn the melody on each string one at a time, before wrapping your brain around the bouncing intervals involved in the tuning. Getting acquainted, piece by piece, slowly but surely, is an approach I wish I'd started with decades ago.

Thanks man. I"ll do it! This Sho Bud was built in 74 and I think it has spent most of its life in its box. Needs some loving.

I actually JUST got back from dropping it off at this fella Billy Knowles house in a tiny town called Kenansville that is about 2 hours from me. He has a shop out back his house... here's his site

From what I can gather he is a master of renovating pedal steel guitars. There were hundreds of pictures on the walls of his humble little shop behind his house. Really cool. I"m guessing there might NOT that many people on the face of this earth that can do what he does...

http://steelguitareast.com/

could not have been a nicer guy!

Pellman73

I'm beginning to think the pedal steel dudes are the coolest. Check out this dude Speedy West (And they all have the best name)

Check out his right hand. Yes. Thats his smoke. I love that pic so much.

Pellman73

got my Sho-BUD LDG back from Billy Knowles-- thats him in his shop in Kenansville

he is a really great guy. and a master. Its up and running. he said he thinks its barely been played... pretty cool for a 44 year old instrument (with so many moving parts... LITERALLY)

now I've just got to learn how to work it. even just noodling on it it sounds great

I guess the "holy grail" tone from three albums (one being Buddy Emmons "Black Album" (yes spinal tap) as well as Lloyd Green were all using Fender Twins

sounds pretty sweet through the princeton!

renderit

It's awesome you found someone who is great at working on them. I have found a lot of shops that don't even know what they are.

Pellman73

It's awesome you found someone who is great at working on them. I have found a lot of shops that don't even know what they are.

I got a Peterson Strobo tuner and I think it will be good to play with it in front of me so that I”ll really get a sense of what notes are being played (as well as whether or not its staying in tune.

Its crazy that these things even exist, really. It really is a complicated contraption. Geniuses from the future must have made these things. Just the way that the pedals and the knee levers work two strings at a time (ONE ACTUALLY RAISES ONE STRING AND DROPS ANOTHER :bug

.. I think its going to really help me understand theory a bit better