• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Music City "stud finder" wraparound bridges.

StSpider

Hey guys, for those of us who love juniors and wrap bridges I've recently installed one of these on one of my guitars:

rkc9kkrw2mqdxqfzew3w.jpg

(not my guitar btw).

It's the same concept of the mojoaxe bridge, aka the compensated ridge, but with a few tweaks that might work in your favor.

It's wider, the treble side is bigger to allow bridge contact with the stud, the bass side is thinner and allows for sharper intonation, the "flaps" are thicker to minimize rocking.

Honestly, I love both bridges and the Pigtail too. These are all very fine bridges that sound awesome.

The Pigtail is the least accurate intonation-wise but might just be the better sounding, very bold.

The Mojoaxe looks right and intonates better, sounds a little less meaty IMO but still great - it's in my Oxblood and it's not going anywhere.

The Music City "stud finder" looks the less vintage, but it might just be what you need if you can't get the intonation range right with any of the aforementioned bridges. This is expecially true with vintage guitars when the bass stud might be too far and the treble stud too close to the nut. Sounds fantastic too, full of harmonics.

Overall, it's a new wraparound that it's worth checking out.

renderit

Thanks for that! You know, I have been messing around with my wraptails quite a lot of late and have discovered that some can intonate 'dead on' (or damn close to it) with a change of string gauge as well. So if you find you need a staggered bridge try going down or up a size first (10 to 9 or 11).

Last edited:

thin sissy

I bought one of those for my 57 Jr a while ago. I had to file it down to fit the studs, but it works well.

StSpider

I bought one of those for my 57 Jr a while ago. I had to file it down to fit the studs, but it works well.

Yep, the flaps are pretty thick. They didn't fit my Pigtail studs, but they did fit retrospec studs. Glad that I have a bunch of parts lying around.

@renderit: True that! I found that - as a general rule - all things equal (action, relief etc), thicker strings require to move the bridge (or the saddle) away from the nut, lighter gauges want to be shorter.

Then there's some weird ones, for example, pyramid strings (might be because they are round core) intonate quite sharply on the wound strings.

Anyway, I try not to fuss too much about it, otherwise I wouldn't play guitars with wraparound bridges! a couple of cents off here and there is really no big deal.

renderit

Yep, the flaps are pretty thick. They didn't fit my Pigtail studs, but they did fit retrospec studs. Glad that I have a bunch of parts lying around.

@renderit: True that! I found that - as a general rule - all things equal (action, relief etc), thicker strings require to move the bridge (or the saddle) away from the nut, lighter gauges want to be shorter.

Then there's some weird ones, for example, pyramid strings (might be because they are round core) intonate quite sharply on the wound strings.

Anyway, I try not to fuss too much about it, otherwise I wouldn't play guitars with wraparound bridges! a couple of cents off here and there is really no big deal.

True dat. I absolutely LOVE the simplicity. Now I just play over a couple of months with some string type/gauge changes until I get the closest. And I have found it easier to hit closer to perfect with roundcores. At least on the ones I have tried them on so far. Now I'm going back through them to get the best for each.

stilwel

I just put one of these on my '74 LP Special last week.
Fixed the alignment issue I was having (on this guitar) with the Mojoaxe bridge.

This intonated really well and looks good with the aged finish.

35kodhf.jpg

2nltsg7.jpg

2cg5tf.jpg

FWIW..I have a Mojoaxe on my '59 Special and it's aligned really well on that particular guitar.