• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Wrong Power Supply With A Used Purchase From Guitar Center....................

JeffBlue

I purchased a used Rocktron Gainiac from Guitar Center Tucson and the person who packaged the unit enclosed a wrong and improper power supply. The Gainiac requires a 9 VAC 1.5 amp (1500 milliamp) power supply and they sent me a cheap, lousy 9 VDC 150 milliamp power supply. They attempted to make it right and sent me a 9 VAC 650 milliamp power supply which could overheat, fail or cause a fire if i used it. Why can't Guitar Center hire people who know something or care? The good folks at Guitar Center Pasadena GAVE me a 9 VAC 2.0 amp (2000 milliamp) power supply.

jrgtr42

NOt knowing anything about the deal, and playing devil's advocate here, maybe that's the supply that came in to them with the unit?
at least they tried to make it right, even though they failed.

JeffBlue

Just saying...........if you buy a product, even if it is used, the store that sold you the product should make it right if it wasn't right to begin with. Every time that I sell something to Guitar Center, they make sure the units work or no deal. That means I bring a power supply for the unit if it is different than the usual 9 VDC for pedals. So, how do they get it wrong if they have taken the unit in? They told me the unit was a return. Did they not check it before accepting it? It would be nice to not have any hassle when you buy used equipment from Guitar Center.

J T

:hmm

Guitar Center is still in business?

JeffBlue

FYI...............if you plug a DC power supply into an AC unit...........you will surely damage your unit. if you do not believe me, give it a try for yourself. Let us not do something unintelligent.

GotTheSilver

FYI...............if you plug a DC power supply into an AC unit...........you will surely damage your unit. if you do not believe me, give it a try for yourself. Let us not do something unintelligent.

I, for one, certainly do not want to damage my unit! :wah

PaulD

Connecting a DC supply to a unit designed for an AC supply is unlikely to damage it, assuming we are talking about effects pedals, rack mount gear and other such audio devices, if it is designed to use an AC power supply the unit will have a built in rectifier that converts the incoming AC to the DC that is required to power the unit. If you conect a DC supply to the rectifier it will not damage it provided that the voltage is correct. Doing the opposite and connecting an AC supply to a unit designed for a DC supply is likely to result in the magic smoke escaping. :dang

JeffBlue

Connecting a DC supply to a unit designed for an AC supply is unlikely to damage it, assuming we are talking about effects pedals, rack mount gear and other such audio devices, if it is designed to use an AC power supply the unit will have a built in rectifier that converts the incoming AC to the DC that is required to power the unit. If you conect a DC supply to the rectifier it will not damage it provided that the voltage is correct. Doing the opposite and connecting an AC supply to a unit designed for a DC supply is likely to result in the magic smoke escaping. :dang

I admit that I don't know many things, sorry if I am wrong. So....it is okay to rectify an already rectified power source with no ill effects?

PaulD

So....it is okay to rectify an already rectified power source with no ill effects?

Yes, a rectifier allows current to pass in one direction and not the other so if the current is already only going in one direction it will simply pass through the second rectifier. There will be a small voltage drop resulting from the additional rectifier but this will be negligible.

Of course it is always good advice to only use a power supply of the recommended specification and I wouldn't suggest doing this as a matter of course but it won't damage anything if you do. Doing the opposite and attempting to power a device that needs a DC supply with an AC adapter is the big no-no, this will be likely to result in the instant destruction of the device.

JeffBlue

Thank you Paul. I admit I have a lot to learn. I had to repair the cathode resistor on my 1968 Fender Vibro Champ because I had some red plating on the output tube. I fixed it and sounds fantastic by reading threads in forums and asking questions. I like coming to these forums and guys like you are extremely helpful. Thank you.

I find myself learning continuously and I don't see that changing anytime soon.

PaulD

Thank you Paul. I admit I have a lot to learn. I had to repair the cathode resistor on my 1968 Fender Vibro Champ because I had some red plating on the output tube. I fixed it and sounds fantastic by reading threads in forums and asking questions. I like coming to these forums and guys like you are extremely helpful. Thank you.

I find myself learning continuously and I don't see that changing anytime soon.

You're welcome Jeff. I have been building and repairing amps for more years than I care to remember but still find myself constantly learning as well!