• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Tuners for 1980 Les Paul Deluxe

johnnytucats

Hey folks...

I've got a 1980 Les Paul Deluxe, gold top, with the mini-humbuckers.

The original tuners have finally crapped out completely and I'm having difficulty figuring out what to do.

Photos of originals:

The tuner pegs have an OD of 15/64".

The bushings have an OD of 25/64".

I really want to keep the original look so I ordered some Klusons with the metal key (link). The pegs are 1/4" so they don't fit the old bushings. The new Kluson bushings have an OD of about 9mm so they're too small for the holes made for the original bushings. Kluson sells an adapter (which is just another bushing...ugly, by the way) that has a 10mm OD. I ordered those and they're noticeably too big for the holes. The headstock holes seem to be just under 10mm.

I thought I'd give it a shot to "machine" down the adapter bushings and actually got them to fit. However, after restringing I get some rattle that I think is coming from the one or two pegs being a bit loose in the adapter bushings...a problem undetectable until all the other prep was done.

I'm returning the Klusons and starting over.

Does anyone have advice on how to get a good set of tuners on this thing and retain the original look?

chasenblues

Are you looking for brand new? Or are you willing to take a chance on "vintage" parts?

mikbKcym.jpg

HvYQy20m.jpg

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-1970s-Gibson-Les-Paul-Tuners-Tulip-Original-Gibson-Flying-V-1204TU1/183265320628?hash=item2aab76deb4:g:tGMAAOSw-0xYRPqK:sc:USPSPriorityMailSmallFlatRateBox!11704!US!-1

And another..(The first linked set looks to be in better condition though.)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Gibson-Nickel-Tuners-circa-1977-78-Tulip-Buttons-w-Logo-On-Casing-RARE/183229660538?hash=item2aa956bd7a:g:FXsAAOSw95la~QXQ

johnnytucats

It's nice to find out how much these old ones are "worth"!

I'm going to order some Grover 135N tuners and give those a shot...abandoning my plan to get the metal keys.

johnnytucats

I think you might have to do a touch of reaming on the tuner holes?

I've resigned myself to that possibility.

It's weird that different, even adjacent years of the "same" model guitar have different bits on them. Was anyone in charge of this stuff? Comical!

johnnytucats

Got the Grovers. They fit the holes and the original bushings perfectly, as far as I can tell.

I want to use the original wood screws so as not to strip the holes. Unexpectedly, the holes in the new tuners are too small for the original screws.

I just got these and haven't found out the best way to enlarge the holes on the tuners. Anyone got an idea?

johnnytucats

Done!

I used a 7/64" drill bit to enlarge the holes on the Grovers for the original wood screws.

No metal key heads but it was nice to be able to use the original bushings with the big flanges…instead of replacement bushings with little washers.

Hopefully, someone will find all this information useful someday.

chasenblues

Done!

I used a 7/64" drill bit to enlarge the holes on the Grovers for the original wood screws.

No metal key heads but it was nice to be able to use the original bushings with the big flanges…instead of replacement bushings with little washers.

Hopefully, someone will find all this information useful someday.

:salude..

Jeepers that's a big volute..:wow

(Not trying to imply it's a bad thing.)