• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

my 54 goldtop has a new friend

daglespaul

Hi Guys,

just wanted to share a cool guitar story.
I've been the Lucky owner of a very cool 54 goldtop for a while now. It belonged to the great GE Smith
and is probably the best guitar i've ever played, even compared to all the 50's les pauls i've ever played.

last week something cool happened. I've found a add on a 64 ES335 in the Netherlands for 5000 euro.
It almost was to good to be true, but the guy supplied me with every picture I asked about. His dad passed
away in march and the guitar was laying around. I was able to arrange a meeting the next day.
I went over there as soon as possible. Is was up for a scam or some other funky business, but there it was: a Ligit 64 ES 335.
All Original with its Original Selmer case. What happened next was a evening full of great stories.

His dad was a professional jazz/country player in England and bought the guitar new in 1964. proven with all kind of pictures.
It was his baby and he sherished it! Love brought him to the Netherlands and after becoming a father he took a day job to support
his family. Music played a big role in his life and he kept on playing. 15 years ago his hand got weak and he couldn't play anymore.
The guitar ended up in the case and was played for like 5 minutes a day. After his death the guitar went to his only son.
He doesn't play music and didn't want to hang the guitar on to the wall. The guitar was made to make music, that is what his dad
would have wanted.
they went out to get a idea of the value on the guitar and were told that 5000 euro was a good price. If they were Lucky they could
get a little more from a guitar enthousiast. We talked about the history of guitars, the real value, the clapton thing,...
I made him a fair, but stil a very cool, offer cause 5k would have been silly. The family was very happy, I had a cool 335 that is nothing
but amazing, and we have some new friends.

Enjoy the Edwards 335!

talonmm

Congratulations and thanks for sharing that great story and find. Enjoy!

sidekick

OP ... Congrats on your '64 335. Looks a really nice example together with history.

The rip-off value recommended by the shop for a '64 335 seems petty poor, to say the least ... :ganz But that is how some work, unfortunately.

Still, worked out in a good way for you and perhaps a form of karma.

fakejake

It hurts to admit but I'm seriously jealous.. I'm in the EU as well, and this is the kind of story I'm dreaming about to happen to me. I search the local ads for an early 60ies 3x5 almost on a daily base, but whenever something comes up it is priced way out of my league. I would have grabbed that one in an instant for that price, and for 1-2 k more as well.
You're a lucky man, enjoy that beautiful guitar :salude

Jimty

Congrats! And good on you for striking a fair deal. What goes around... You deserved to land her. Hope you enjoy as many happy years with her as her original owner did đź‘Ť

goldtop0

Congrats on your '64 and the good story:2cool
One day I might just get a '54 myself......out of all the '50s LPs I think that would be the tone beast, that or a '53 or '55 wrapround.

Arch D. Bunker

The family was very happy, I had a cool 335 that is nothing
but amazing, and we have some new friends.

Enjoy the Edwards 335!

So what do your new friends the Edwardses think about you offering the 335 for sale, two months after getting it from them, for 16.5K? :hmm

daglespaul

Well, i was tempted because I was offered a '57 les paul. That will shed some light on the situation.
The fact that i still own the 335 and don't have it up for sale anymore says more then words, i guess.

As mentioned in the sale, the only reason why i would sell was because of the 57 goldtop.
I guess some people understand the thought of selling with such a reason.

fakejake

Well, i was tempted because I was offered a '57 les paul. That will shed some light on the situation.
The fact that i still own the 335 and don't have it up for sale anymore says more then words, i guess.

As mentioned in the sale, the only reason why i would sell was because of the 57 goldtop.
I guess some people understand the thought of selling with such a reason.

I believe Arch D Bunker's comment referred more to the difference between buying and selling price, i.e. that you would make a healthy profit in flipping the guitar just a few weeks after you bought it, which might seem unfair towards the Edwards family.... :eek:la

Arch D. Bunker

So this must be a mistake then?

https://www.zikinf.com/annonces/dispannonce.php?annonce=1592244

Ad says you're a pro seller BTW.

I don't care if you make a buck selling this guitar, which is fine with me, but am allergic to pump and dump practices. Others here feel the same.

First praising that guitar as 'nothing but amazing', and then turning around and flipping it, as an apparent pro seller, reeks like a classic pumping and dumping exercise to me.

Tom Wittrock

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner

I don't care if you make a buck selling this guitar, which is fine with me, but am allergic to pump and dump practices. Others here feel the same.

First praising that guitar as 'nothing but amazing', and then turning around and flipping it, as an apparent pro seller, reeks like a classic pumping and dumping exercise to me.

:wah

mipstoo

I didn't notice the guitar was offered for sale on the forum, so I don't completely get your point or why it's necessary to turn to public shaming.
Most of us have acquired better/nicer/pricier guitars over the years by selling off other stuff we bought before and most of the time with profit. Does it matter if the guitar was bought 4 weeks ago, 4 years ago or 20 years ago? When a new opportunity comes along, you sell what you don't need.

I'm sure the Edwards family were happy with the price they were given or they wouldn't have sold it. What the buyer does afterwards is no longer of matter.

Patek

I didn't notice the guitar was offered for sale on the forum, so I don't completely get your point or why it's necessary to turn to public shaming.
Most of us have acquired better/nicer/pricier guitars over the years by selling off other stuff we bought before and most of the time with profit. Does it matter if the guitar was bought 4 weeks ago, 4 years ago or 20 years ago? When a new opportunity comes along, you sell what you don't need.

I'm sure the Edwards family were happy with the price they were given or they wouldn't have sold it. What the buyer does afterwards is no longer of matter.

The family were grossly misinformed about its value, and if they ever found out I think they would have that sick feeling for a long long time. I’d say the OP offered more than the asking price of 5k. Since he didn’t state the final price I’d venture a guess it was a lot closer to 5k than his 16k selling price