• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

my 54 goldtop has a new friend

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

I would think the OP did pay a little more than $5k to buy it, but I don't think it would have been much over. Personally if that guitar goes for $16k I would go back to the Edwards' family and probably give them again what I paid for it, otherwise that's just a plain shitty move. The fact that it's up for sale merely weeks after he bought it gives me the inclination that this was the plan from the start; I don't have a bone with people making a bit of money from selling their gear (hell, we certainly all lose enough over the years) but this is in a whole other league.

mipstoo

It's all very shortsighted to make judgements based on assumptions, no?
The OP talked about a 5K value communicated to the family by someone else. He doesn't state what he has paid.

Neither do any of you know that the OP was robbed of a 1956 ES-295 two weeks ago.

mipstoo

:wah What does that have to do with the sale of the 335 in question?

That there might be reasons we don't know about... :##

You guys are talking about flipping guitars, healthy profits, ...
In all ads I've seen the seller talks about purchasing a mid-50s Gibson (Goldtop?) and I've seen the same seller post a warning to look out for a very distinctive gold ES-295 that was stolen.

I'm just annoyed by the fact that everybody here has an opinion on the matter without knowing any facts. Not the purchase price, not the reasons behind a possible sale,... Just assumptions and judgements. Getting back in time and witnessing a witch purge...

Everybody has a right to have an opinion, but uneducated judgements is something else...

Sioux

That there might be reasons we don't know about... :##

You guys are talking about flipping guitars, healthy profits, ...
In all ads I've seen the seller talks about purchasing a mid-50s Gibson (Goldtop?) and I've seen the same seller post a warning to look out for a very distinctive gold ES-295 that was stolen.

I'm just annoyed by the fact that everybody here has an opinion on the matter without knowing any facts. Not the purchase price, not the reasons behind a possible sale,... Just assumptions and judgements. Getting back in time and witnessing a witch purge...

Everybody has a right to have an opinion, but uneducated judgements is something else...

Great post , mipstoo.

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

Would be good if the OP could chime in and give his 2c, there may be legitimate reasons and I really hope there is. If one of my guitars got stolen and they somehow didn't touch any of my others, I sure as hell wouldn't be selling any of my others! I'd be holding onto them even tighter. You'd think that most of us would have had the ES295 covered by insurance, but maybe that's not as common practice in the States as it is elsewhere.

Arnold M.

Mini Forklift Ⓥ;2812705 said:
Would be good if the OP could chime in and give his 2c, there may be legitimate reasons and I really hope there is. If one of my guitars got stolen and they somehow didn't touch any of my others, I sure as hell wouldn't be selling any of my others! I'd be holding onto them even tighter. You'd think that most of us would have had the ES295 covered by insurance, but maybe that's not as common practice in the States as it is elsewhere.
you guys don't have Smith & Wesson insurance in New Zealand ? it's actually quite effective, usually merely implying you have coverage is sufficient to keep evildoers :peace2 away .

Black58

you guys don't have Smith & Wesson insurance in New Zealand ? it's actually quite effective, usually merely implying you have coverage is sufficient to keep evildoers :peace2 away .

A big, nasty dog would be a good idea, too; Unless you plan on never leaving the house, nor going to sleep! :rofl

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

Not that I know of, I have never heard of them before. Obviously most people have House & Contents insurance, however anything of any significant value many people tend to have separate cover for; for example I have my guitars and amps covered and my wife has a lot of her jewellery insured individually.

daglespaul

Ok, since there still are some doubts about the thing, here comes the story.

The facts are:

The 335 was up for sale for a very short time, and seemed to be still online on the zikinf website.
I accidently must have forgotten about that since the guitar isn't for sale.
Why was it up for sale? I was offered a 57 goldtop and thought it was 'THE' guitar for me to own.
It actually didn't work out, it wasn't my guitar. I needed to sell a 62 strat and the 64 335 to make a deal possible.
So I did. If it's worth it, if it is the right thing to do? I guess that is a personal choice.

Things you have to make clear:
No i'm not a pro guitardealer, I'm a guitar enthousiast and have certain dreams. I don't need to earn my money with selling guitars.
The fact is that I paid the original family, as mentioned, way more then they were advised.
So i didn't pay 5000, i paid them more the double. A price we were both happy with and they were free to blow me off.
We still speak to each other on weekly base, so don't worry about that. We get along just fine. I could have paid the family just 5000 and they would have been fine with it.
Actually a lot of stores and other guitarsenthousiast were in line to do so and make a major profit out of the deal. Yes i had a good deal in my opinion, but never planned on selling it.
The fact that something came on my path I needed to check out wasn't planned either. But please, it doesn't mean i don't love the guitar and i planned to sell it.
If you were offered a burst or another dreamguitar and there was a way that you could afford it, would you sell certain stuff to do so? I did think about it and I would do it again but it's a funny fact how dots are getting connected.
You have to ask yourself: If you own a guitar, even if it is only for a couple of months, and dicide to sell to purchase a dream. Do you sell it for the price
you've bought it or do you sell it at current marketprice. cause if we sell guitars at the price we buy them, this would become a interesting time to invest in guitars.

The other thing you have to understand is: I tried the goldtop and my 54 just blew it out of the water for me personally. there was no need for the 57.
The 335 is amazing on its own and does its own thing, you can't compare them. I would have only sold the 335 if the 57 brought me something i never heard before.
For me it didn't had the magic I was hoping for. A good lesson learned: Not every dream guitar lives up to the myth.
So yes i'm still very happy with the guitar and i'm not planning to sell it the nearby future. The whole experience made me realise the quality of my guitars is just superb
and i don't need the 'holy grail'. I'm just a very happy guy, owning a couple of fabulous guitars. The 335 is on my side 4 nights a week, i love it!

So i guess you now know the whole story.
I'm not gonna defend myself or the choices i considered in purchasing a dream, it is what it is and you believe it or you don't.

Peace out!

fakejake

So i didn't pay 5000, i paid them more the double. A price we were both happy with and they were free to blow me off.

Great reply and good points, at least for me that settles it :salude
Now back to :hank

MeHereNow

Ok, since there still are some doubts about the thing, here comes the story.

The facts are:

The 335 was up for sale for a very short time, and seemed to be still online on the zikinf website.
I accidently must have forgotten about that since the guitar isn't for sale.
Why was it up for sale? I was offered a 57 goldtop and thought it was 'THE' guitar for me to own.
It actually didn't work out, it wasn't my guitar. I needed to sell a 62 strat and the 64 335 to make a deal possible.
So I did. If it's worth it, if it is the right thing to do? I guess that is a personal choice.

Things you have to make clear:
No i'm not a pro guitardealer, I'm a guitar enthousiast and have certain dreams. I don't need to earn my money with selling guitars.
The fact is that I paid the original family, as mentioned, way more then they were advised.
We still speak to each other on weekly base, so don't worry about that. We get along just fine. I could have paid the family just 5000 and they would have been fine with it.
Actually a lot of stores and other guitarsenthousiast were in line to do so and make a major profit out of the deal. Yes i had a good deal in my opinion, but never planned on selling it.
The fact that something came on my path I needed to check out wasn't planned either. But please, it doesn't mean i don't love the guitar and i planned to sell it.
If you were offered a burst or another dreamguitar and there was a way that you could afford it, would you sell certain stuff to do so? I did think about it and I would do it again but it's a funny fact how dots are getting connected.
You have to ask yourself: If you own a guitar, even if it is only for a couple of months, and dicide to sell to purchase a dream. Do you sell it for the price
you've bought it or do you sell it at current marketprice. cause if we sell guitars at the price we buy them, this would become a interesting time to invest in guitars.

The other thing you have to understand is: I tried the goldtop and my 54 just blew it out of the water for me personally. there was no need for the 57.
The 335 is amazing on its own and does its own thing, you can't compare them. I would have only sold the 335 if the 57 brought me something i never heard before.
For me it didn't had the magic I was hoping for. A good lesson learned: Not every dream guitar lives up to the myth.
So yes i'm still very happy with the guitar and i'm not planning to sell it the nearby future. The whole experience made me realise the quality of my guitars is just superb
and i don't need the 'holy grail'. I'm just a very happy guy, owning a couple of fabulous guitars. The 335 is on my side 4 nights a week, i love it!

So i guess you now know the whole story.
I'm not gonna defend myself or the choices i considered in purchasing a dream, it is what it is and you believe it or you don't.

Peace out!

Thnx for the complete story, and your sentiments about guitars and the enthousiasm of finding something special is recognisable.:salude

What's almost unbelievable to me is the fact that some members are calling you out and are under the impression that you are obliged to tell every detail about the deal to them..
As if you need their approval.

To me it's like this disunity becomes more and more a rule instead of exception here..

mipstoo

Thnx for the complete story, and your sentiments about guitars and the enthousiasm of finding something special is recognisable.:salude

What's almost unbelievable to me is the fact that some members are calling you out and are under the impression that you are obliged to tell every detail about the deal to them..
As if you need their approval.

To me it's like this disunity becomes more and more a rule instead of exception here..

hear, hear :salude

But since we all know the background story now, I guess everybody's pleased... I know I'll think twice before posting some NGD soon...

Arnold M.

hear, hear :salude

But since we all know the background story now, I guess everybody's pleased... I know I'll think twice before posting some NGD soon...
yep. it's like walking in a minefield out there sometimes ...:hmm