• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Need advice on up coming purchase

Chris1547

Hey all! Long time listener, first time caller.

I have played a mim strat for several years now and I'm ready to move on. I just got a new Marshall Origin 20, which I love! I have played and narrowed my choices down to a new Epiphone Les Paul Tribute Plus which uses the classic '57 pick-ups, a used Firebird respectively a 2002 and a 2013 both with Steinberger tuners one, the '13 is stock pick-ups and the 2002 has mojo Winter's in it and lastly a used 2017 Gibson Les Paul Gold Top Tribute T. Frankly, I'm stuck as I think all four a very nice guitars and sound very good. I'm by no means a professional player. I play to blow off steam and jam out with friends for fun. I play mostly 70's classic rock with a heavy dose of Skynyrd. I concentrate more on the rhythm parts of songs.

I'm 6'7" and have long fingers but not fat finger tips and I seems like the firebird suits me better in terms of size but tone wise It has a tele vibe which I don't hate by any means but that's whats hanging me up. I like the tone of the Lp's

Thoughts? Advice?

musekatcher

Hey all! Long time listener, first time caller.

I have played a mim strat for several years now and I'm ready to move on. I just got a new Marshall Origin 20, which I love! I have played and narrowed my choices down to a new Epiphone Les Paul Tribute Plus which uses the classic '57 pick-ups, a used Firebird respectively a 2002 and a 2013 both with Steinberger tuners one, the '13 is stock pick-ups and the 2002 has mojo Winter's in it and lastly a used 2017 Gibson Les Paul Gold Top Tribute T. Frankly, I'm stuck as I think all four a very nice guitars and sound very good. I'm by no means a professional player. I play to blow off steam and jam out with friends for fun. I play mostly 70's classic rock with a heavy dose of Skynyrd. I concentrate more on the rhythm parts of songs.

I'm 6'7" and have long fingers but not fat finger tips and I seems like the firebird suits me better in terms of size but tone wise It has a tele vibe which I don't hate by any means but that's whats hanging me up. I like the tone of the Lp's

Thoughts? Advice?

All are pretty good. If you are chasing the definitive LP sound only, I might lean towards the gold top. If you plan to keep learning and bettering your best music, I'd go for guitar [Firebird] that feels the best and fastest. The Firebird tone is a nice one, and can work with anything [same for the LP tone].