LilyPix
Merchandise & Donations
NEW! Burst Serial Log Home Page
LPF Homesite
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Les Paul Forum Member

Re: NVGD! First Rack 1959 ES-345T!

Quote Originally Posted by treyrab View Post
    Congrats RAB! Love it! First Rack 345s are in a league of their own. Maybe the best 3 racks of ES guitars that Gibson ever made, honestly....Here is mine, A29667, along with a '59 345 TDC. First rack was shipped in April, Cherry was shipped in October.

What a gorgeous pair of fiddles!

Les Paul Forum Member GuitarMikey's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by moonweasel View Post
    What does "First Rack" mean? Never heard the term, and I've been on LPF forever. Thanks in advance!
    https://www.lespaulforum.com/forum/s...ght=first+rack
    GuitarMikey

Les Paul Forum Member TomGuitar's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by OKGuitar View Post
    It doesn't get you close. It gets you there. Especially that neck pickup.
    In some ways, it gets you more. The split fingerboard inlays and the extra binding just look soooo cool.

Les Paul Forum Member

Esseries Re: NVGD! First Rack 1959 ES-345T!

Quote Originally Posted by TomGuitar View Post
    In some ways, it gets you more. The split fingerboard inlays and the extra binding just look soooo cool.
    Thanks Tom, I like your perspective. Plus the First Rack 345s are kind of a cool club to be in...limited membership based on their relatively limited production! Best, RAB

Les Paul Forum Member

Would love to hear from my old A29663’s current owner to catch up if they are so inclined! RAB

Quote Originally Posted by RAB View Post
    Thanks Tom, I like your perspective. Plus the First Rack 345s are kind of a cool club to be in...limited membership based on their relatively limited production! Best, RAB
    RAB, welcome back to the club! My 1st rack 345 is the best Gibson I currently own. It's definitely one of the top guitars I've had the pleasure of ever owning and I've had some nice ones over the past four decades!
    "This old guitar ain't mine to keep, It's mine to play for a while" ~ Neil Young 'This Old Guitar'
    ...member since 2004, formerly known as 'RedSkyDog'

Les Paul Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by EBW View Post
    RAB, welcome back to the club! My 1st rack 345 is the best Gibson I currently own. It's definitely one of the top guitars I've had the pleasure of ever owning and I've had some nice ones over the past four decades!
    Right on! Yes, these First Racks have some special mojo for sure!

Congrats OP ... Enjoy.

Not just the best ES guitars ever built, but possibly the best Gibson has ever had to offer, in the electric line. Can you think of another model that has the design aesthetics, range of tone, playability, and extreme versatility that these have? Those guitars can excel in any musical format, with a player who understands how to use the 345's unique characteristics, including the out of phase middle position pickup selector feature and the often maligned Varitone. It really can do authentic fingerstyle jazz, bebop, jazz fusion, Chet Atkins style fingerpicking, straight country, every shade of blues, and all the many types of rock, up from rockabilly to the most modern ultra high gain distortion styles. It didn't hurt that two of the most accomplished guitarists of the time, Hank Garland and Grady Martin, were used to critique and help Gibson refine the 345 prototypes. Congratulations, that is one gorgeous first rack 345!
    Last edited by reddeluxe; 07-02-18 at 10:44 PM.

Les Paul Forum Member

Thanks reddeluxe!

Les Paul Forum Member

Would love to hear from other FR (First Rack) 345 owners!

Quote Originally Posted by RAB View Post
    Would love to hear from other FR (First Rack) 345 owners!
    I don't think there are many of them Honestly folks might not even know that they have a "First Rack"......I didn't know that mine was until after I bought it!

Les Paul Forum Member

I don't think there are many of them Honestly folks might not even know that they have a "First Rack"......I didn't know that mine was until after I bought it!

Good points! Folks, if you have a ‘59 ES-345T and it has a BIG neck profile and black Varitone ring there is a decent chance its a First Rack!

Les Paul Forum Member

What a beauty.. I have heard good things about OK Guitats, I hope to one day do business with them

Les Paul Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by TradProPlus17 View Post
    What a beauty.. I have heard good things about OK Guitats, I hope to one day do business with them
    Yes, dealing with Charlie at OK Guitars is a pleasure. And, he’s got the good stuff!

Quote Originally Posted by TradProPlus17 View Post
    +1 - Can't say enough good things about Charlie (OK Guitars). The best ES's and customer service!

Les Paul Forum Member

+1 - Can't say enough good things about Charlie (OK Guitars). The best ES's and customer service!
    Agreed! Charlie/OK guitars comes highly recommended!

I don't know if Joe's 345 is a "First Rack" or not, but oh my lord what a tone!! I was totally blown away by the sound of this guitar...even more than his bursts which were of course quite spectacular! But I would give my left nut to have one of these. These may just be in a price range that I could afford too! The performance below was on the second Keeping The Blues Alive at Sea cruise and this particular solo ranks right up there as one of the best solos that these old ears have ever heard (both in terms of his artistry and the tone of the instrument through those old tweeds).

Les Paul Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleBoogie View Post
    I don't know if Joe's 345 is a "First Rack" or not, but oh my lord what a tone!! I was totally blown away by the sound of this guitar...even more than his bursts which were of course quite spectacular! But I would give my left nut to have one of these. These may just be in a price range that I could afford too! The performance below was on the second Keeping The Blues Alive at Sea cruise and this particular solo ranks right up there as one of the best solos that these old ears have ever heard (both in terms of his artistry and the tone of the instrument through those old tweeds).

Not sure either if Joe’s 345 is a FR (first rack) but it does have a black Varitone ring. Not in question is the fabulous tone that you reference! There is an organic, woody quality that Les Pauls and other solid bodies just don’t have. I’ve owned a number of original Bursts and PAF Goldtops and PAF ES models including two FR 345s including my current one. One tone isn't better than the other, just different!