• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Dual Rectifier Solo Head

Blackjack30

Killer amp, anyone know if i can stick a non-MESA matched quad of Tungsol 6L6's in there without any bias problems ?

thejaf

Your best bet is to take the amp to a qualified technician. Many ages ago I had a MarkIII, which was fixed bias cold without any adjustment pot (just a resistor). You could "swap" power tubes without bias adjustment because it was essentially factory fixed to run cold. This amp may be the same, or it could have regulators to control bias current.

Blackjack30

-4db on the hot plate, tube rec setting, "Bold" switch on, very SLO-ish.

Last edited:

PaulD

Killer amp, anyone know if i can stick a non-MESA matched quad of Tungsol 6L6's in there without any bias problems ?

There is no bias adjustment on these, they are factory set using fixed resistor values. Provided the replacments are a matched set it should be no problem, just check to make sure they are not red-plating and you should be good to go. If I remember correctly there is a switch to set the bias for either 6L6's or EL34's so you can user either and select the correct bias with the switch.

Blackjack30

There is no bias adjustment on these, they are factory set using fixed resistor values. Provided the replacments are a matched set it should be no problem, just check to make sure they are not red-plating and you should be good to go. If I remember correctly there is a switch to set the bias for either 6L6's or EL34's so you can user either and select the correct bias with the switch.
Yes thanks, i was able to find a tube vendor thats sending me the right 6L6's.

renderit

-4db on the hot plate, tube rec setting, "Bold" switch on, very SLO-ish.

That sounds awesome! But..........Thank God not all amp manufacturers do it the same way as Mesa or we'd have a silicone shortage! Damn! The boards on that thang are packed! My little V/25 is the same way. Sounds great as well but damn!