• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Gibson Collector's Choice Headstock Issue...PLEASE HELP!

FYI...It is for sale again.

They have one on Reverb....SN 23..... that I am watching. They say it’s a floor model with wear they don’t describe. No warranty. The picture they show does not show the defect. Is this the same guitar?

P.Walker

Something that hasn't been mentioned:

For a "new" guitar,

1. The truss rod washer seems to be a little deeply embedded in the cavity than most.
2. The black lacquer around the nut is broken too much for a "new" guitar. A new one would have the black sloppy lacquer mostly intact.
3. The truss rod nut is a little differently shaped than what I am used to.
4. The actual rod portion sticking out above the nut (though trivial).

FWIW, this is mine: A 2011 stock R9.

1. Truss rod washer not compressing the wood cavity.
2. Black lacquer mostly intact, even with seasonal setups.
3. Most common gibson truss rod nut shape.
4. Actual rod portion not sticking out and "beneath" the nut (although as I said, trivial).

IMG_6876.jpg

cxuereb

Yes...023 is the one I got and returned. See the earlier posts. Thanks.

They have one on Reverb....SN 23..... that I am watching. They say it’s a floor model with wear they don’t describe. No warranty. The picture they show does not show the defect. Is this the same guitar?

Yes...023 is the one I got and returned. See the earlier posts. Thanks.

Wow! I’m suprised CME would lie and not show the defect in the picture. They probably think the next owner won’t notice. They want a lot for a defective guitar with no warranty.

LuteGuy

Wow! I’m suprised CME would lie and not show the defect in the picture. They probably think the next owner won’t notice. They want a lot for a defective guitar with no warranty.
I'm going to stop in and check it out in the next few weeks. Curious in general, and specifically, as to whether the headstock issue has been repaired...will report my findings:dh!

I'm going to stop in and check it out in the next few weeks. Curious in general, and specifically, as to whether the headstock issue has been repaired...will report my findings:dh!

They are not showing or mentioning it in their Reverb advertisement....stating no warranty because it’s a floor model with wear.

LeonC

https://reverb.com/item/10130523-gi...reeder-burst-aged-serial-cc31a023-floor-model

Yeah, the really disturbing part to me is: the photo of the face of the headstock ABSOLUTELY DOES NOT SHOW this mark / defect. And the descriptive summary says it's in "Mint (used)" condition.

Note that Reverb is owned by (or at least it was) the same guy who owns Chicago Music Exchange.

This makes me more reluctant to do biz with them than I have been.

cxuereb

Well someone bought it. At least I think they did. I checked the listing again yesterday and then sent CME a message yesterday asking what Gibson ended up saying about it. Was it a defect? Was it a crack in the holly? Why did Gibson revoke the warranty on it? I was still mildly interested if the price was right. Yesterday, it was listed for 15% off...which would bring the cost down to about $5,100...which is much less than what I offered them when I was negotiating a discount because of the issue (back when I was potentially going to keep it)!!!

I haven't heard back from them and might not! I went to look at it today and it is not listed anymore.

Anyway, thanks again everyone for your input and comments. I appreciate it. I just hope whoever bought it knew about the potential issue/defect/whatever it was! Once again it was CC 31 A Mike Reeder serial number 023.

https://reverb.com/item/10130523-gi...reeder-burst-aged-serial-cc31a023-floor-model

Yeah, the really disturbing part to me is: the photo of the face of the headstock ABSOLUTELY DOES NOT SHOW this mark / defect. And the descriptive summary says it's in "Mint (used)" condition.

Note that Reverb is owned by (or at least it was) the same guy who owns Chicago Music Exchange.

This makes me more reluctant to do biz with them than I have been.

Last edited:
Well someone bought it. At least I think they did. I checked the listing again yesterday and then sent CME a message yesterday asking what Gibson ended up saying about it. Was it a defect? Was it a crack in the holly? Why did Gibson revoke the warranty on it? I was still mildly interested if the price was right. Yesterday, it was listed for 15% off...which would bring the cost down to about $5,100...which is much less than what I offered them when I was negotiating a discount because of the issue (back when I was potentially going to keep it)!!!

I haven't heard back from them and might not! I went to look at it today and it is not listed anymore.

Anyway, thanks again everyone for your input and comments. I appreciate it. I just hope whoever bought it knew about the potential issue/defect/whatever it was! Once again it was CC 31 A Mike Reeder serial number 023.

I was watching it and notified that someone made an offer on a listing your watching notice. It’s listed as sold. Who knows, when the new owner gets the guitar....good chance he joins the LP forum or searches reviews on guitars and finds this thread with his serial number. We may find out the rest of the story on what was said or if they fixed it.