• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

What is the best gibson model for 3000 - 3500 dollars

c_wester

A used/new R8,R7 or R9 from 2013 and forward.

But try as many as you can before you buy.

J T

Try any historic. Year does not correspond to what you will like. There are fantastic guitars in any year.

byleww11

Try any historic. Year does not correspond to what you will like. There are fantastic guitars in any year.

I am thinking buying 2014 or 2016 models. There are a lot of used guitars from 2016 and 2014. What do you think ?

byleww11

Baloney. 2013's were just fine as c_wester said above. I don't know where this guy puts it up to 2014. 2012 had the fingerboards that were possibly multi layered. But that can also get you a great price on a great guitar if you work it. Prior to 2012 you MAY be more likely to find so-so ones (I never played enough to form my OWN opinion) and the pickups were not the C-buckers which are pretty awesome in their own right. I have played VERY few after 2012 that were turds. A few needed adjustment, but all but a few were great sounding fiddles.

Well, what do you think about 2014 and 2016 or 17-18 ? I will buy one of them(used or new)

Did you play from this years ?

renderit

What did I say? The fact 2 guys said 2014 on and I said 2013 on? I have no idea why the 2 guys above said to skip 2013. They are the ONLY peeps I have seen say this. I have heard that of 12's but 13 on are considered the "More are better than not" years. I think the hit ratio on 2013 is as good as 2015 or 2016. AND MOST OTHERS DO TOO. 2016, 17, and 18 appear to be good years as well. (Unless you like the regular type serial numbers but is that only 16 and 17?).

byleww11

What did I say? The fact 2 guys said 2014 on and I said 2013 on? I have no idea why the 2 guys above said to skip 2013. They are the ONLY peeps I have seen say this. I have heard that of 12's but 13 on are considered the "More are better than not" years. I think the hit ratio on 2013 is as good as 2015 or 2016. AND MOST OTHERS DO TOO. 2016, 17, and 18 appear to be good years as well. (Unless you like the regular type serial numbers but is that only 16 and 17?).

Thanks, i am gonna buy 14 or 16 model...

renderit

OK. 14 is fine. 16 (unless it is a True Historic which I DON'T think you will get in your price range) will have a 'wonky' serial number. The 'original style' SN's were only used on TH's that year? If you are OK with that then the 16 will be roughly the same as a 14. I'd hold out for 'slightly cheaper' on the 16 just because of the SN thang because, let's face it, someone will bitch about it if you go to sell it later.

Playing wise there is no difference. Most will sound good. There will be a few that don't so I'd still recommend playing it yourself if you can or having someone you trust play it and give you a tone report.

byleww11

OK. 14 is fine. 16 (unless it is a True Historic which I DON'T think you will get in your price range) will have a 'wonky' serial number. The 'original style' SN's were only used on TH's that year? If you are OK with that then the 16 will be roughly the same as a 14. I'd hold out for 'slightly cheaper' on the 16 just because of the SN thang because, let's face it, someone will bitch about it if you go to sell it later.

Playing wise there is no difference. Most will sound good. There will be a few that don't so I'd still recommend playing it yourself if you can or having someone you trust play it and give you a tone report.

May be i can buy used. What should i do for serial numbers ? SN = Serial Number ?

renderit

explanation of 'wonky' fell on deaf ears so I will no longer post in my patented style.

Last edited:

AA00475Bassman

Don't believe everything you read on forums. Nothing wrong with older historics.
I owned 94'R7, 96'LPC R7 , 96' R8 these were fantastic guitars & good luck finding one , Tim you hit the nail these are great guitars !

Disclaimer , So much KOOL-Aid on this forum , My 98 Historic Firebird V is killer Every bit as good as my later ones !

mustachio

Not to be confusing, sure there are great histories made prior to 2014, but for consistency and risking a purchase sight unseen, I think post-2013 will provide you a better chance of not buying a lemon. Prior to 2013 has Franklin Tite Bond glued necks, Burstbuckers (not as good as custombuckers), low tolerance pots, tubed truss rods and bright red stained mahogany backs and necks. By themselves, any of those issues aren’t a deal breaker, but the sum total of those deficiencies may lead to a higher probability of getting an average or difficult to play Les Paul. I’ve had over 10 Custom Shop les Paul’s over the years and I’ll take the Pepsi challenge that better Les pauls on the whole are from 2013 and beyond. THAT ALL BEING SAID...I do think you might have a good experience with finding a chambered Les Paul prior to 2013. Take it with a grain of salt to make it taste better on the way down. Sorry if I offended any pre-2013 owners, but if you’ve ever played a True Historic, you’d know it’s not skunk oil I’m selling. Why do you Historic Makeovers does
so much business? They’d have no business model without those earlier LPs. Minimize your risk of not getting the best Les Paul with your hard earned money. And if you see an early Les Paul just try it first if you can.