• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Will the real vintage Fender experts please stand up? Hardtail question

hogy

The original Fender Stratocaster bridge cover, aka ash tray, has a notch on the right side for the trem arm.

Picture stolen from the internet:

s-l1600.jpg

Did Fender make a cover without that notch for hardtail Strats, or did those get the same cover as trem models?

Anybody know?

chasenblues

^^Well, that answers my question. Thanks!

To be honest i don't know if that's an actual Fender part. It could be an aftermarket one, I don't know how one could try and verify if its really from Fender.

Wilko

All Access/Backstage Pass
My '72 thinline had that un-notched ashtray.

hogy

So the question remains, I guess, what would have been used on a '54 hardtail? Did they have two separate parts early in the year before the Strat was officially introduced in October of '54?

Tom Wittrock

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner
So the question remains, I guess, what would have been used on a '54 hardtail? Did they have two separate parts early in the year before the Strat was officially introduced in October of '54?

Just guessing, but I would expect they had un-notched covers very early.
I think the notch is an extra step, so to stop before the notch was made should be simple. :hmm

Dishimyuh

I dug the one out that came with my '54 tremolo Strat and it's notched, no surprise there. However, I'm not sure that it's original to the guitar, but it's beat up and definitely old.