• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Vintage Marshall 1980s 1965A 4x10 - ADVICE PLEASE

Pat Boyack

Hey guys! I have been thinking about getting a Marshall 4x10 cab to use with my Cornell 18/20 Plexi or Runt 20. On line I see a few from the 1980's (which are now considered vintage :laugh2:) at $499.00. I have 2 1x12 cabs that are open back right now. Any opinions are appreciated.

fender69

Code:

No personal experience with them, but I have read many times that they are sweet. Go for it!

jbzoso2002

We had a jam night in the 90's that had a Marshall artist head & 4x10 slant
cab and it sounded great!!

Plus you can always change speakers, alot out there.

Jimmy

Pat Boyack

I have been told the original speakers (G10s) are pretty cool. I used to play through Super Reverbs so I'm used to 10 inch speakers. The last 5 however I have been using 12s. Thanks for the insight!

jhmp

There was a time when I added one to the stage, and honestly the 2x12 in my pro reverb used as an extension cabinet sounded better.
They look great - try before you buy if you can. If I did it again, I'd try a non slant version...

chazzo

Just sold my 1965 and went back to a 4x12 it was ok (nice and light weight) just don't have the grunt of a 4x12.

Pat Boyack

There was a time when I added one to the stage, and honestly the 2x12 in my pro reverb used as an extension cabinet sounded better.
They look great - try before you buy if you can. If I did it again, I'd try a non slant version...

Yes, I need to do that. I have a fellow Cornell owner here in town who has one. He loves his. I'll see if I can borrow his for a gig first.

Just sold my 1965 and went back to a 4x12 it was ok (nice and light weight) just don't have the grunt of a 4x12.

I pretty much thought that was the case. Those 12s can push.....but this old man :peace2 likes "light weight".

Mr. Papa

The 4x10" is much lighter and easier to fit in a back seat than a 4x12". I think the stock speakers are hit or miss depending on the application, the last one I had sounded fantastic with a SF Vibroverb (and the secret sauce back in the day was to run a BFBM or SFBM through one of these cabs) but did NOT hold up to a 4x12" or 2x12" with a JCM, IMO. I bought and sold two of them, right now I'm looking for an open back or ported back or 3/4 back 2x12 cab for a pair of Golds I have sitting here.

The Shifter

I have a slant Marshall 4x10 from the 80s and I LOVE it. I like the thump it gives me, and I really like the tight low end you get with 10" speakers.

It's also a really great cab for running oddball low wattage heads through. Great for studio use as well. One of my favorite, most used cabs for sure.

Pat Boyack

The 4x10" is much lighter and easier to fit in a back seat than a 4x12". I think the stock speakers are hit or miss depending on the application, the last one I had sounded fantastic with a SF Vibroverb (and the secret sauce back in the day was to run a BFBM or SFBM through one of these cabs) but did NOT hold up to a 4x12" or 2x12" with a JCM, IMO. I bought and sold two of them, right now I'm looking for an open back or ported back or 3/4 back 2x12 cab for a pair of Golds I have sitting here.

Yes, I am also thinking about using a 8ohm 2x12 closed back cab as well. Thanks!!

I have a slant Marshall 4x10 from the 80s and I LOVE it. I like the thump it gives me, and I really like the tight low end you get with 10" speakers.

It's also a really great cab for running oddball low wattage heads through. Great for studio use as well. One of my favorite, most used cabs for sure.

That's all I use - low wattage heads. Thanks!!

AlvisX

They've been invaluable to me . I own four of 'em, a's & b's. Lightweight , 8 ohms (a good "American" impedance) They work great with anything

Stonehengin'

The original speakers are a plus if you can find one with them in there . Funny ,G 10L they dont really sound right in anything else....I've tried em in everything .....but in a 1965 cab , they're perfect

I have a couple 1966 cabs too, but I think the 4x10 sounds better

Xpensive Wino

Hey guys! I have been thinking about getting a Marshall 4x10 cab to use with my Cornell 18/20 Plexi or Runt 20. On line I see a few from the 1980's (which are now considered vintage :laugh2:) at $499.00. I have 2 1x12 cabs that are open back right now. Any opinions are appreciated.

$499 sounds like a snip to me. How much is shipping, though?