The Fender Forum
NEW! LPF Facebook Page
LilyPix
Merchandise & Donations
NEW! Burst Serial Log Home Page
LPF Homesite
    Les Paul Forum Member Pat Boyack's Avatar

Vintage Marshall 1980s 1965A 4x10 - ADVICE PLEASE

Hey guys! I have been thinking about getting a Marshall 4x10 cab to use with my Cornell 18/20 Plexi or Runt 20. On line I see a few from the 1980's (which are now considered vintage ) at $499.00. I have 2 1x12 cabs that are open back right now. Any opinions are appreciated.

Re: Vintage Marshall 1980s 1965A 4x10 - ADVICE PLEASE

No personal experience with them, but I have read many times that they are sweet. Go for it!

Les Paul Forum Member jbzoso2002's Avatar

We had a jam night in the 90's that had a Marshall artist head & 4x10 slant
    cab and it sounded great!!

Plus you can always change speakers, alot out there.

Jimmy

I have been told the original speakers (G10s) are pretty cool. I used to play through Super Reverbs so I'm used to 10 inch speakers. The last 5 however I have been using 12s. Thanks for the insight!

Les Paul Forum Member

There was a time when I added one to the stage, and honestly the 2x12 in my pro reverb used as an extension cabinet sounded better.
    They look great - try before you buy if you can. If I did it again, I'd try a non slant version...

Just sold my 1965 and went back to a 4x12 it was ok (nice and light weight) just don't have the grunt of a 4x12.
    "Just before they went into warp, I beamed the whole kit and kaboodle into their engine room, where they'll be no tribble at all."

Quote Originally Posted by jhmp View Post
    There was a time when I added one to the stage, and honestly the 2x12 in my pro reverb used as an extension cabinet sounded better.
    They look great - try before you buy if you can. If I did it again, I'd try a non slant version...
    Yes, I need to do that. I have a fellow Cornell owner here in town who has one. He loves his. I'll see if I can borrow his for a gig first.

Quote Originally Posted by chazzo View Post
    Just sold my 1965 and went back to a 4x12 it was ok (nice and light weight) just don't have the grunt of a 4x12.
    I pretty much thought that was the case. Those 12s can push.....but this old man likes "light weight".

Quote Originally Posted by chazzo View Post
    The 4x10" is much lighter and easier to fit in a back seat than a 4x12". I think the stock speakers are hit or miss depending on the application, the last one I had sounded fantastic with a SF Vibroverb (and the secret sauce back in the day was to run a BFBM or SFBM through one of these cabs) but did NOT hold up to a 4x12" or 2x12" with a JCM, IMO. I bought and sold two of them, right now I'm looking for an open back or ported back or 3/4 back 2x12 cab for a pair of Golds I have sitting here.
    "In all candor, I'm 'stunned' by the rather extensive list of modifications that folks are typically making to these already expensive guitars. In fact, I'll go ahead and say it . . . it seems absolutely crazy" - excerpted from the post of a Les Paul reissue owner and new member to the LPF

Hitler reacts to the Gibson 2015 price increase and min-Etune:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cB0wi5-5wNU

Les Paul Forum Member The Shifter's Avatar

I have a slant Marshall 4x10 from the 80s and I LOVE it. I like the thump it gives me, and I really like the tight low end you get with 10" speakers.

It's also a really great cab for running oddball low wattage heads through. Great for studio use as well. One of my favorite, most used cabs for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Papa View Post
    The 4x10" is much lighter and easier to fit in a back seat than a 4x12". I think the stock speakers are hit or miss depending on the application, the last one I had sounded fantastic with a SF Vibroverb (and the secret sauce back in the day was to run a BFBM or SFBM through one of these cabs) but did NOT hold up to a 4x12" or 2x12" with a JCM, IMO. I bought and sold two of them, right now I'm looking for an open back or ported back or 3/4 back 2x12 cab for a pair of Golds I have sitting here.
    Yes, I am also thinking about using a 8ohm 2x12 closed back cab as well. Thanks!!

Quote Originally Posted by The Shifter View Post
    I have a slant Marshall 4x10 from the 80s and I LOVE it. I like the thump it gives me, and I really like the tight low end you get with 10" speakers.

It's also a really great cab for running oddball low wattage heads through. Great for studio use as well. One of my favorite, most used cabs for sure.
    That's all I use - low wattage heads. Thanks!!

They've been invaluable to me . I own four of 'em, a's & b's. Lightweight , 8 ohms (a good "American" impedance) They work great with anything

Stonehengin'

The original speakers are a plus if you can find one with them in there . Funny ,G 10L they dont really sound right in anything else....I've tried em in everything .....but in a 1965 cab , they're perfect

I have a couple 1966 cabs too, but I think the 4x10 sounds better

Les Paul Forum Member The Shifter's Avatar

^^^
    It was Alvis what got me into the Marshall 4x10

Les Paul Forum Member Xpensive Wino's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Boyack View Post
    Hey guys! I have been thinking about getting a Marshall 4x10 cab to use with my Cornell 18/20 Plexi or Runt 20. On line I see a few from the 1980's (which are now considered vintage ) at $499.00. I have 2 1x12 cabs that are open back right now. Any opinions are appreciated.
    $499 sounds like a snip to me. How much is shipping, though?

There's a couple on Ebay right now fwiw

Thanks guys!!