• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Sheptones and Jensen caps - digging the tone

matei

Banned
Hi all... I recently got an R8 with Sheptones (not sure which model), and to my ears they sound like what I imagined a vintage PAF would sound like. Not overly aggressive or trebly, but harmonically rich and with a “dryness” that I don’t have in my other pickups. The neck pickup in particular sounds quite different than the Burstbuckers in my other guitars. Notes played through that pickup have an almost Fender-esque clarity and roundness.

The R8 also came with Jensen capacitors – so not sure how much is due to the Sheptones or the caps.

I’m now considering putting this combo in my other Historic, a 2003 R7 with the stock Burstbuckers but with RS audio pots and caps. It was always, to my ears, a mellow sounding guitar.

I dig the bridge Burstbucker – it sounds different enough to my other Lesters. With some tweaks to its height and pole piece height I’ve succeeded in livening it up a bit – but the neck pickup sounds too “biffy”, for lack of a better descriptive term. It is as if the tone control is still rolled off, it is very thick sounding – but with a strange hi-fi sounding hi-end.

How much do the caps affect the overall tone? I've only ever swapped out the stock faux-bumblebees for the RS stuff, so I've not experimented much.