• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Humidity + New Historic = Misery

jalevinemd

Played two outdoor gigs in the Chicago suburbs this weekend. We're in the middle of a heatwave and the humidity was really bad. Both shows were outside. I regrettably decided to play my 2018 '58 Historic. My hands were so sticky from the humidity and the guitar neck was equally as tacky. I've since read lots of supposed remedies for sticky hands, ranging from antiperspirant to lighter fluid...none of which sounded very appealing. Not sure what I'll do about that. But as the lacquer on my guitar continues to age and cure, will it be less prone to be so sticky under humid conditions?

thejaf

I resorted to talcum powder and a towel in a similar situation a long time ago; the show must go on :hank

In my experience, one prevention that worked fairly well was carnuba car wax (e.g. Zymol or similar). Makes neck slick with hard finish

Tom Wittrock

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner
I resorted to talcum powder and a towel in a similar situation a long time ago; the show must go on :hank

Talcum powder works perfect for me and I keep a bottle handy at all gigs.
Just a little in the palm of my left hand and rub it on the back of the neck.
:)

jalevinemd

I was under the impression that the powder turns to paste under those extreme conditions.

jalevinemd

If I wanted to take the gloss of the back of the neck, which grit sandpaper or Scotch Brite would you recommend?

fender69

Works for Jeff Beck....and he knows a thing or two about geetar playing.

Tom Wittrock

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner
If I wanted to take the gloss of the back of the neck, which grit sandpaper or Scotch Brite would you recommend?

Not sure why you would want to do that. It would possibly make the situation worse [unless the neck is maple].

deytookerjaabs

Johnsons corn starch based baby powder is always in the case if I have a lacquer maple neck fender, it's vajayjay friendly unlike that other stuff...not saying you shouldn't wash your hands before playtime but circumstances are circumstances.

Wizard1183

1500 grit will take the gloss look off by wet sanding it. And if you want it back on? Just polish it....

Tom Wittrock

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner
I just saw an ad for a talcum product for this purpose from GraphTech.
Specially designed for guitars and guitarists. :hmm

Mars Hall

I had this issue on my 96 R7 when it was new. I used 0000 synthetic steel wool on the back of the neck. Took some time but eventually the finish cured.