• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Stud location on a 1955 Les Paul Junior

Hi Guys
I am looking to take my 55 Les Paul Junior back to a wrap tail. Unfortunately, the previous owner had modified it by
replacing the original wrap with an early 60's abr-1 and trapeze from an ES 335. in doing so he filled in the holes for
the original studs. So...does anyone here know the exact location for where the studs should be centered? I think that
the pickup location relative to the wraptail changed on '57 LP Jrs and people say that was better sounding. Should I try if possible for a
'57 setup instead? Thanks

thin sissy

I think the sound is subjective, some people probably prefer the pre 56-57 sound and vice versa. When it comes to structural stability the "57 location" is better though it seems. One could do the pre 57 location as long as the studs are longer than originals though, to avoid leaning.

BTW, I think you're right changing it back to a wraptail :salude

Tom Wittrock

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner
I think the tp should be placed where it intonates correctly.
Why put it anywhere else? :hmm

Absolutely, Tom! It was the pickup position that moved, not the bridge.

Hey guys
Yes i spoke to Dan? at Mojoaxe and he told me it was the Pickup that moved about a 1/4 inch away from the stud.
So I don't change to the stud location. Thank you.

Ah of course, drunk + stupid moment from me :##

Hey guys just so you know I did the change and banged in some mojoaxe bushings and put an old
RS Guitarworks aged wraptail and kaboom the '55 sounds amazing. As an aside do you guys have any
idea about the weird light brown color? It seems possible that this is an early TV yellow?
Thanks for your help, she sounds so good.