• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Build Quality 1972 Deluxe vs Custom

guitarjesus

Hey guys, Jeff here, a newbie member. Years ago I had a killer 72' Deluxe, bought it with original hangtags, case, hell the original receipt with the serial number was in it. And of course we were hurting for money and I sold it.

I'm much better off financially and have been looking around. I loved my Deluxe but have seen a killer deal on a custom that had a headstock repair (with receipt and documentation from a well respected luthier).

Just curious, what are the differences in build quality between the Deluxe and Custom models?

All help is appreciated, thanks!

Progrocker111

None, they all had transitional neck tenon (in fact like long one), same caps and pots, same wood and same pancake body construction.

But interesting is, that in average Deluxes seem to be a bit lighter in weight than Customs from these same years.

deytookerjaabs

But interesting is, that in average Deluxes seem to be a bit lighter in weight than Customs from these same years.

I thought I was bonkers having noticed this too. I've seen a fair number/percentage of deluxes first hand between 9-10lbs and there was one for sale in a local shop a while back that was in the 8's too. I've seen a couple sub 10 pound customs from those years but they're pretty few & far between compared to the deluxes.